Engine ticking noise

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 4 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
arctichotspur
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Engine ticking noise

Post by arctichotspur »

Ok. Next issue ;)

I have an engine ticking noise. I have recorded it, but unsure if the link works. Let me know if it does not.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eVJvAE725VGEQeZVA

It was difficult to say where the noise originated from, but I believe its from the fuel rail. I placed a poor mans sthetoscope(empty beer can) and I could hear the tick loud and clear when placing the can on the fuel rail and placing my ear against the end. I think I could hear some small tick on the engine cover as well, but at least much less dominant than on the fuel rail. It was difficult to place the can straight on the fuel rail without touching other things, but I could hear the ticking noise loud and clear.

However when I shut the engine lid I hear the ticking noise better. It also is louder when I look under the car. Could possibly be how the sound travels...

Hope you guys can help again!
Skjermbilde 2021-03-19 kl. 10.41.31.png
Skjermbilde 2021-03-19 kl. 10.39.34.png

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Re: Engine ticking noise

Post by jimi »

Sounds a bit like fuel injectors, I get a similar noise when I first start the engine from cold, it goes away after a minute or two. You could try some injector cleaner in the fuel or getting your injectors cleaned and serviced. Could also be the cam followers needing reset, although these engines aren't prone to noisy followers or going out off adjustment.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
arctichotspur
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by arctichotspur »

Thanks. Think I will try to service the injectors. Probably about time anyway :)

Zaksy

Post by Zaksy »

Hi,

I have a similar noise. Any news on if you got it fixed?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 4 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”