1988 rear quarter repair

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Larry C
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

1988 rear quarter repair

Post by Larry C »

Hi folks, new to here so HI!! Hopefully in the next few days and once I hand over some hard earned cash I should be the proud owner of a 1988 MR2! It's a bit rough but baring a couple of items it seems to be all there. The worst bit is the rear quarters though. I could get away with repair sections but if I can handle the cost possibly full panel replacement, and that's if I can locate the panels. Can anyone advise as to where I can get any repair sections? Does anyone even make them??

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: 1988 rear quarter repair

Post by angpozzuto »

Hi and welcome to the club.
Complete rear quarter panels don't exist, there was repair sections available but I heard that the guy who made them has retired. Some of the MR2 parts guys might still have some in stock, try https://www.mr2mk1toyotaspares.com/
Or possibly
https://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/

Also get some pics up of your mk1
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Paul Sims ( first link above) still shows stock for rear wings and repair panels, not cheap, but Paul is reliable https://www.mr2mk1toyotaspares.com/body-panels
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Larry C

Post by Larry C »

Wow thanks guys! I've had a look on mr2mk1toyotaspares and they seem to have the wings I need. I know they cost a bit but it's what I need. I could probably knock up small repair sections but the time I'll spend making them then getting them to a painting stage will cost a lot of time. I'll get in touch with them over the next few days. I'm hoping to get the car home tomorrow so will get a few pics up. Cheers!

Topic author
Larry C

Post by Larry C »

That's the beast home! Drove it on the trailer and off, even had a wee drive out and in the street. Not too many odd noises so fingers crossed things are not too bad mechanically. Apart from the temp gauge all the other electrics seem to work even down to the elec mirrors! What's the easiest way to post up pics on here? I'm on the free membership option at the moment but will be taking out a subscription, will that give me some options? I'll be starting up a project thread so will need to suss how to post pics. I remember the Scottish mini forum being quite similar to this forum but can't remember how I posted up pics of my mini, think it was a bit of a hassle!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

No hassle here ;) it's quite straightforward https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/92/167439.html

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Where you at in Scotland ?

Topic author
Larry C

Post by Larry C »

Thanks for that Jimi, I'll sort out a sub this evening then start a project thread. I'm up in the Shetland Isles! Not too many of this age of MR2's kicking about here, the chap I bought this one off has one that is road legal. It's not a show winner but more a "usable" one. We know of another that's in a shed but the owner doesn't really seem to be doing anything with it. I've been having a wee poke about the rear wings so I'm away to try and buy some s/h wings.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Shetland ? Been there a few times :laughing I worked offshore and flew in and out of both Sumburgh and Scatsta many many times. Also landed on Unst a few times, you think Shetland is desolate until you land on Unst :laughing
One of the other Chief Electricans on my last rig lives on Shetland. :th:
Welcome to the Club and MK1 ownership, thanks for your support. :clapping:
Now you can get some pics up :cool1:

:postpics:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”