Radio/Cassette help

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Coxkyz

Radio/Cassette help

Post by Coxkyz »

Hi,

I'm working on my 1985 MK1A and I have this radio but the original wires have been mangles so much i have no idea what's what on this radio. I've spoken with Toyota, Panasonic, and Fujitsu and gotten nowhere.

Anyone able to help?
the model number is 86120-17090
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Radio/Cassette help

Post by jimi »

Do you have a picture of of the pin side of the connector ? Check this article in Know Your 2
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk1/ ... pters.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Coxkyz

Post by Coxkyz »

Pins.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

What is that plug attached to? Because it looks wrong, there only appears to be 6 wires and they don't appear to be standard Toyota colours. What does the back of the stereo look like ? There's normally two sockets with two plugs on the car harness.

Topic author
Coxkyz

Post by Coxkyz »

Here is all I have.
IMG-1884.jpg
IMG-1889.jpg
IMG-1874.jpg
65513411563--BEB52A80-A7F8-4955-B72E-3AB6CBB7ACB1.jpg
IMG-1885.jpg

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

I've never seen one like that, but it does agree with the EPC drawing for that part number, ie single plug & aerial connector.
The colours don't match with any of the info I have ( got a few more drawings to check)
How many wires (and the colours) do you have on the car harness side ?

Topic author
Coxkyz

Post by Coxkyz »

In the car i have
blue (with a plug on the end)
pink & blue spripe
red
black & red strpie
yellow
white
2 X green
and a white & black stripe

Its weird, I haven't been able to find anything on this plug or wire colours.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

At least those colours are familiar, looks like you basically have this on the car side
radiowiringtext1do4.jpg

Topic author
Coxkyz

Post by Coxkyz »

That's exactly what I have except the actual black connector! any clue what its called?
also where did you see this?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

The black plug is the standard MK1a stereo plug as fitted by Toyota. As for the picture, can't remember where I got it, I've been collecting MK1 info for a very long time, particularly anything electrical (I'm an electrician)

Topic author
Coxkyz

Post by Coxkyz »

Ive found these 2, im thinking i may have the non original radio or something, (may explain the extra blue)

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/mr ... ns.327591/

https://www.mr2oc.com/threads/1985-1986 ... ng.594409/
where is says "In order for the underseat sub to work, you need to connect your headunit's 'amp power on' (or 'power antenna') wire to the other green wire. See below.

SO YOU HAVE TWO IDENTICAL GREEN WIRES... The only way to VISUALLY tell which one is which is if they're still wired into the original harness. In that case, the GREEN wire DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH the PINK&BLUE wire is the (amp power-on signal) wire, and the GREEN wire with nothing wired in above it is the (12v dimmer) wire."

but my connecter on the amp has no wire next to the one under the pink&blue, ive tried to draw it and got pink and blue the wrong way around lol
IMG-1908 - Copy.jpg

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

The two greens are easy to identify with a multimeter, with the ignition off check between each green and a good body ground connection, shouldn't be any voltage on either. Put the ignition on and put the lights on, check both wires again and one should have 12v on it, that one is the feed from the lights, which leaves the other as the sub turn on signal.
I'm still looking through my collection, the part number you posted is correct for a 1a stereo, but the colours don't quite agree with any of the drawings I have.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

:) Research ongoing
In this picture
If you follow the aerial cable along from where it comes out of the head unit to just after the clamp, there's a rectangular hole, I'm pretty sure thats where the blue cable with the plug goes (it's the constant 12v supply to maintain the radio memory) if you look in you should see a brass spade connection for it.
Download this pdf https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/d ... rical.html
Go to page 23 (Radio & horns) you'll see on there that a 12v supply fron the Haz-Radio fuse which goes to pin1(B) on the head unit, the B is for plug B shown on the right which is a single pin plug. The wire colour is L ( which is 'light blue" in Toyota speak)
The rest of the headunit connections are on plug C which is the one in my picture.
I'd also be wary of wiring info from any of USA forums as their info is based on US spec cars and there are many differences in the wiring between US and UK spec MK1's.
BTW, differences are not confined to electrical, there are many mechanical differences between the US/UK models.

Topic author
Coxkyz

Post by Coxkyz »

Thank you. Ill check it out when theirs some daylight, also i get a 404 on the pdf.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”