new spark plugs for a mk1

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 16 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
brfc22

Post by brfc22 »

alright every1

i wont to upgrae my spark plugs on my mk1 to iridum but have heard ppl talkin about them blowin some electics on the engine, has any1 had this problem and can any1 recommend what would be the best plugs to use and leads.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

TBH mate, I'd just stick with the standard NGK's.

I use them on all my cars and the bikes and seem to work well enough. Not worth spending more money on plugs as they don't make a lot of difference.

As for the leads. I found the Magnecores (spelling) worked well on the 4AGE. Can't and won't give any performance differences as never tested them on a dyno or anything but did seem to smooth things out a little.

Topic author
jing-jang

Re: new spark plugs for a mk1

Post by jing-jang »

im using ngk iridium IX and they are brill, no problem as well:)

Topic author
brfc22

Post by brfc22 »

cheers for the advice all.

Topic author
esreveRBackwards

Re: new spark plugs for a mk1

Post by esreveRBackwards »

Did not see anything on the search so here goes..

I have an 89 MR2 Mk1. What is known about those Pulstar Pulse Plugs?

www.PulstarPulsePlugs.com

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

never seen them mate, tbh I'd def stick with ngk's. good plugs and not too expensive. all these claims on substantially better fuel economy and increased power are bollocks, you seriously won't notice.

Topic author
brfc22

Post by brfc22 »

cheers for that mate, i did change my plugs i used ngk standard plugs and thet seem to be ok, but would still use the iridium IX if i know they will be better for my car.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

I seriously doubt they would be any better for your car, probably won't be any worse but people get too worked up about plugs and the claims that they are more powerful\better for your engine\ increased fuel economy.

If you have a decent set of plugs in already I really wouldn't worry about if changing them will be better for it because the likely hood is the only thing that will truely benefit is the company you are buying them off. When the time comes that you need to think of changing the plugs look at a different brand if you want at that time. I wouldn't bother anytime other than that myself tho.

I've had a fair few mk1's now and worked on quite a few more and all apart from 1 SC that had TRD plugs ran ngk's. In fact I've just been working on an SC that has had the engine overhauled and big sc pulley fitted and the only thing we did was to run a different grade of NGK's to deal with the different temperature they now need to run at.

Topic author
brfc22

Post by brfc22 »

thats fair enough then cheers for your help mate, i will stick to my ngk standard one for now then,

what ht leads could u recommend i'm looking at k1 raceing 10mm

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

No problem mate, will give any help I can.

I currently use the Magnecore 7.5mm I belive, Will check later. They seem fine.
Theres not a lot in ignition leads either. The only thing is the thicker the lead the more likely you'll get some sort of noise feedback through the stereo. Think its down to the different resistance of the cables.

I was convinced that the leads were better when I first got a set but looking back it was probably mostly in the mind, ooh I just bought these performance cables my cars gonna fly sort of thought. Its not a bad thing tho and if you feel its better thats all that matters.

I have no experience of the K1's but toyota stock leads and magnegores are fine and well made. Just one thing whatever you do stay away from the halfrauds ones, I bought a set in an emergency and I think they might have lasted a couple of months before starting to break down.

Topic author
brfc22

Post by brfc22 »

ya i keep looking at the Magnecore 7.5mm myself they are alot cheaper then the k1 and i have heard alot of good thing about them.

cheers fot the warning about halfrauds thats terriable only lasting a coule of months.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

You won't go wrong with the Magnecores in my experience. They have lasted me well, 2 mates are running them on SC's with no complaints, and I know a lot of other people with different cars who are happy with the brand. Sometimes its not worth thinking of other more expensive ones as often you won't find any benefit.

Luckily the halfrauds ones were an emergency buy as the original toyota ones completly failed (hadn't had the car long so not got round to sorting them). I now keep hold of a couple of sets of stock leads just incase this happens.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 16 years and 1 week old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”