Engine oil pressure

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
japaneseskoda

Engine oil pressure

Post by japaneseskoda »

Hello there. I was driving my mk1 yesterday and oil pressure when moving is in the normal, just over half way mark. When idling I noticed it starts dropping, to like 1/3, is this normal?

Topic author
Mr-Blister

Re: Engine oil pressure

Post by Mr-Blister »

Yes, the oil pressure rises with engine revs, 1/3 on idle is fine.

Topic author
japaneseskoda

Post by japaneseskoda »

Thanks pal, I've only just had the car and it's my first mk1. Think I'm more in love with it than my girlfriend.

Topic author
flak_monkey

Engine oil pressure

Post by flak_monkey »

Mine is just over half when idling and between the 2 bigger marks when driving (about 2/3 of the way up).

Topic author
japaneseskoda

Engine oil pressure

Post by japaneseskoda »

Oh dear it's getting worse. It's fine when driving along and about half way on the guage, but when at idle it's now 1/7th to 1/8th and the engine wants to stall so I rev it to keep going. All level is fine. Is the engine probably tired and in need of replacement? How tricky will it be to find the fault?

Topic author
b2hbm

Engine oil pressure

Post by b2hbm »

what revs is it ticking over at ? If it wants to stall it sounds too low. Remember oil pressure is related to engine revs to some extent, which is why it drops on idle. If you're at 500rpm on idle then the first thing is to set that up properly.

Generally speaking, if you've got plenty of pressure at say 2000revs then you should be ok. If not, as you've only just got the car the first thing I'd do would be to do an oil/filter change and see if it made any difference.

Topic author
japaneseskoda

Post by japaneseskoda »

Just put the car through the MOT and it failed on brake discs rear and a caliper, also massive hole in exhaust down pipe, thought it just made that excellent sound as standard! Got them fixed, while they were doing the work I also went for the oil and filter change too as you recommended. Oil pressure much better now, stays above 1/3 on idle and upto 2/3 driving, thank's for the advice. Makes me wonder if the guy who sold it to me was actually telling the truth about virtually not using the car for two years.

Topic author
paff

Engine oil pressure

Post by paff »

Mate your best ignoring the guage, its so irregular that half the time it means nothing, altho itf its low on the guage its worth checking the oil lever. That about it tho.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”