SC12 Supercharger Question

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Solar

Post by Solar »

Im hoping you all can help, while i dont own a Mk1 im currently fitting the SC12 that used to be fitted to the Japanese Mk1's to another car...now ive got it all hooked up and running, so in theory the hard part should be over.

However ive got a possible problem, at idle its quiet no issues its even quiet when the electro clutch is engaged (if i force it to engage at idle) but as soon as the revs start to rise it starts to buzz. :-?

Its being vented to air at the moment as mapping hasnt been sorted yet.

I spent all yesterday slowly working back through the system checking for air leaks or vibrating bolts, brackets you name it...so the noise is deffinatly coming from the SC as you can hear it amplified if you put you ear to the outlet pipe.

Ive noticed there is very slight play at the pulley end...which clicks if you rock it pull/push or left/right the pulley (the main one not the electro clutch bit thats free to spin at idle)

Ive only found one other video with a simial noise...and other sites state the sc should have a smooth whine during operation...(ive never heard one running myself in person, so cant say for deffinate if its correct, though i obviously have my suspicions or i wouldnt be posting here :) )

So what id like to know from other MR2 Mk1 Supercharger owners is if this noise is normal or could it be the bearings at the pulley end are in need of replacing or maybe even somthing worse :shock:

Ive included a sound recording of the buzz in question (will need to be extracted as the site wont let me add .mp3's ?)

Thanks in advance.

Topic author
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

"Its being vented to air at the moment....."

are you saying there is no outlet pipe to cylinder head, if so I guess you'd hear alot more of that whirring noise since it is not closed off/contained within a pipe.

I like the sound... you'll probably lose alot of the noise once the piping is complete.

??

Topic author
System-G

Re: SC12 Supercharger Question

Post by System-G »

For some reason I can't download the file... :-? Perhaps email it to me (in either format) systymg @ gmail.com

Is it an early AW11 SC12 or the later Corolla AE101 SC12? The pulley/clutch/stators differ between them.

But regardless of what version, the outer pulley should spin freely with no noises or interuptions (sticking) when no power is getting to it.

You also need to check that the stator (electro magnet) is working correctly. Apply 12V directly to the connector, you should see the clutch jump in (you will need to remove the outer cover from the outer pulley on the AE101 SC12 to see this).

When spinning the outer pulley do the rotors spin?

Can you elaborate on the "Venting to air" bit please?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”