rear brake calipers

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
snooker112

rear brake calipers

Post by snooker112 »

Hi Folks'
Having some trouble with my aw11 rear brakes,
Athough footbrake is ok,I'm having trouble with the handbrake,
Can you confirm that the non operation of the handbrake mechanism means a complete caliper replacement? or can these mechanisms be freed off,
On the handrake lever (on caliper)how much movement is expected and what distance would this move the piston?
Many thanks , Kev.

Topic author
b2hbm

rear brake calipers

Post by b2hbm »

Hi Kev,

If the footbrake is ok, them I'd guess that you can sort out the handbrake without replacing the caliper, it's a very common problem. The last time mine stuck it was due to the cable dragging in the housing, even though it looked ok. New cables are available from most motor factors at around £20/side.

There's a couple of excellent articles in the Mk1 section of "Know Your 2" - links on the LHS column - which show you how to overhaul the calipers or simply adjust the handbrake. Well worth reading.

Brian

Topic author
snooker112

rear brake calipers

Post by snooker112 »

Thanks Todd and Brian for your replies,
After removing both calipers, I got to work on the handbrake mechanism,
I knew the pistons were ok as they re-wound back no problem,in turn the cable was removed and freed off,lightly oiled and re fitted,
With the application of some penetrating spray and some work on the lever it appeared that the lever was producing more travel,
Both calipers were re-fitted,handbrake adjusted and now all appears to be ok.(fingers crossed!)
I guess that I was a bit wary of using penetrating spray on brake parts.
many thanks again, Kev.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”