New dampers for my mk1

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Dark

New dampers for my mk1

Post by Dark »

Its been sugested that i change the suspension dampers and bushes all round on my 1987 mk1 to transform and restore its handling to what it should be. Has anyone got any recommendations as to what parts to use and where to get them from?

Topic author
paff

New dampers for my mk1

Post by paff »

For your dampers you have a few options.
KYB or Koni are the 2 most common, for most people the KYB’s will be more than adequate. I used to run them and once I find some more money I’m going to be getting some again for the V6 (although they are going to be used in conjunction with mx5 coilover kits modified to fit). If you want adjustable suspension the koni kits will be the choice, maybe even the full kit with the springs as well.

I was thinking of the konis for the track car but realised I probably don’t know enough about how the setup will affect the way the car handles so I’d possibly be better off just getting the KYB’s for that as well and saving the money for something else ? I was happy on them before so I can’t see any real need to change.

With the bushes a nice full poly bush kit is what you want, will tighten up the suspension nicely. There are a few places you can get them from so it’s a case of take a look around and pick up a set. I’m hoping to actually make some for mine at some point in the future that way I’ll have moulds and can try out different grades until I’m happy. Not sure when I will get around to that tho, got loads of other things on before that.

Places to look, check fensport, 2's r us, and it won't hurt to check ebay for them as they do come up every so often.

Topic author
Wolfman

New dampers for my mk1

Post by Wolfman »

Paff you always seem to have loads of other things to do ... :)

While we are talking MK1 suspension, is it worth me getting any other suspension components sorted at the same time as my inserts?

-wolfman

Topic author
paff

New dampers for my mk1

Post by paff »

Yeah but we've almost finished that white over silver SC now, should be done and gone early next week.

then we just have to get the ramp installed, build the clean room so we can do some moulding without dust falling onto everything, get the sandblaster finished and setup, sort out the parts washer, and get some letal topped benches finished and might then get around to some work on Owen's SC, Owens 1.5, and my V6 oh and the V8.

Incedentally some of those cars are having suspension upgrades so am going to start looking round myself soon. If I find some good deals I'll post them up. Oh one other thing, if you have fillings or value your spine don't buy Tociko inserts, they are a bit harsh.

Topic author
paff

New dampers for my mk1

Post by paff »

Wolfman, I'd think about the bushes, and maybe even the droplinks as they will be going if they havn't been done. and if you can stretch to it some nice springs (either standard height or lowered) just to freshen it all up.

Possibly even top mounts but it all depends what you want to spend and what you'd rather wait for, its easy enough to do bit by bit.

Topic author
Wolfman

New dampers for my mk1

Post by Wolfman »

LOL well you might get some work done on the cars next year by the sounds of it then mate! :)

Out of interest do any of the other aftermarket suspension components increase the ride stiffness? My girlfriend keeps on complaining when I go over bumps & potholes at the moment, so god knows what she will be like if I change the suspension and it makes it worse! Hehe! Or is it that my current suspension is knackered? I knew getting a little sportscar would be less comfortable but it is a bit more than I expected!

Oh well its my car! :D

-wolfman

Topic author
Wolfman

New dampers for my mk1

Post by Wolfman »

Hrm replacing all of that sounds expensive ... especially as I need to do other stuff to the car as well ...

-wolfman

Topic author
paff

New dampers for my mk1

Post by paff »

ah you don't want the bushes then, if you replace them get the rubber ones.

you will find swapping the dampers and springs will cause the car to feel more of the bumps but at the same time it will make the car feel and handle much better, the lean in corners will be reduced which makes the car feel more stable so it has its plus an minus points.

Even if you replace everything with stock parts you'll notice a difference as the originals will be well past it by now.

Oh if she doesn't like the bumps and potholes I have 1 suggestion, do all that to your suspension but don't get 17's, you feel everything cos of the elastic band tyre you have, saying that I love the ride on them more than any of the others and I've tried all sizes of wheels on these little cars.

Topic author
paff

New dampers for my mk1

Post by paff »

KYB shocks you are looking about £200 for all 4 corners. Springs you can find for £50-£150 just keep an eye out, I got my last set of PI springs for 80 from the bay and Owens is running them on his SC, they work well with the Konis.

Can't remember the cost of the rest off the top of my head but can check later if you need me to. Oh fitting the bushes is a PITA.

Don't bother about top mounts unless they really look old and knackered to save on cost

Topic author
Wolfman

New dampers for my mk1

Post by Wolfman »

You had any issues with speedbumps with a 30mm drop on the MK1? Might keep my eye out for some.

Where is the best place to get the KYBs?

-wolfman

Topic author
paff

New dampers for my mk1

Post by paff »

I have a link somewhere for KYB's, I think its on my home PC tho, I'll try find it. Altho I might see if I can get a few from overseas cheaper soon.

30mm drop had no issues. Think my PI's were 35-40mm drop, they work real well on the SC.
If you think about it, the original springs on your car will be tired and possibly will have dropped under the cars weight as it is. when you replace the springs on a car of this age often the ride height doesn't alter at all it just feels more planted and gives you more confidence. Theres a lot more to it than that but for the purpose of this I don't think it'll make much difference to the choice.

Topic author
Wolfman

New dampers for my mk1

Post by Wolfman »

Cool. Will start looking out for springs then. Any suggestions on what the best springs are then?

-wolfman

Topic author
paff

New dampers for my mk1

Post by paff »

The best ones I have come across are the PI springs.

Oh steer well away from Jamex springs, most people have had an issue with the coils slamming together, that will give a harsh ride.

Topic author
Dark

Re: New dampers for my mk1

Post by Dark »

Thanks for the Fensport tip Paff, they seem to have everything i will need so when i can afford it i think i'm going to change the suspension and springs and bushes all round which looks like it will cost around £450 :shock: Best get saving then eh? :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”