Crankcase blow by system and EGR valve

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Littlemick

Post by Littlemick »

Hi everyone, firstly

Has anyone ever removed the Crankcase blow by system? As in sealed the hole into the intake and added a breather filter to the rocker cover?

Secondly, has anyone ever blanked off the EGR valve? As we all know warm air is bad for the engine. Ive seen this done on V6 Mondeo ST's and it can give a few HP and save stripping and cleaning it.

Not in the title i know, but ive heard people talk of a jimi bracket? What is one exactly? ( i feel stupid now..)

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

UK MK1's don't have a EGR valve.
Personally I can't see any good reason for disconnecting the crankcase breather and fitting a filter, it won't scavenge efficiently and you will get oily fumes in the engine bay.
Search is your friend for the bracket :wink:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Littlemick

Post by Littlemick »

Thanks Jimi, ive just got the old trusty haynes manual out and having a look through and noticed it. Shame it is American.

Im guessing the brackets from you? *goes off to search*

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Try the link in my profile to my website !

Topic author
010on1986

Re: Crankcase blow by system and EGR valve

Post by 010on1986 »

I fitted a crank case filter to reduce the oil build up in the intake system and around the tvis paddles.

Whole engine bay ends up a slimey oil ridden mess, fine vapour slowly gets every where. That'll teach me.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Jimi, not posting a piccy of your engine bay this time:)

The best bet if you really want to feed the crankcase breather off is to take it to a catch can so you don't end up with all the oil in the vapour going back into the intake but instead of routing it off to a filter after the can just route it back to the intake, will be slightly cleaner without the risk of oiy film in the bay.

Personally tho I wouldn't bother.

Topic author
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

Back to standard within a week.

The filter is on the mantle piece with the memorial, "if it ain't broke dont fix it".

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

paff wrote:Jimi, not posting a piccy of your engine bay this time:)
Spoilsport :razz:
paff wrote:The best bet if you really want to feed the crankcase breather off is to take it to a catch can so you don't end up with all the oil in the vapour going back into the intake but instead of routing it off to a filter after the can just route it back to the intake, will be slightly cleaner without the risk of oily film in the bay.

Personally tho I wouldn't bother.
:th:
Got to agree with you there, not worth the effort. IMHO
A lot of people take off the throttle body and see it and the inlet plenum are oily / dirty looking, and blame it on the PCV, most of it probable does come from there, but what they forget is that it's taken 20 years worth of fumes to get it like that. If your really bothered give the inlet tract a good clean then forget it for another 20 years :wink:

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Ok I'll post one instead then :)

My old engine, its still about somewhere lol.
The shiny thing next to the intake manifold is the Jimi bracket and as you can see I put a little effort into sorting that engine nicely and left the breather pipe there.

Best mod you can buy for these is the Jimi bracket tho, cleans up the bay much nicer :)

Topic author
Littlemick

Post by Littlemick »

Thanks for that, looks like i wont be messing with it then

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”