Mk1 Brakes...need help!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

It wouldn't surprise me if the rear brakes have seized up, won't be the first time and won't be the last. On every mk1 I've ever owned I've had to strip the calipers down. Want to refurb a load at somepoint and sell them on ebay cos I know for sure you arn't the only one that will have this problem this year. Hence the big ass tub of caliper grease I just got :)

Was chatting to a mate last night and theres a chance he might be getting a second set of set 185 calipers just to sell on complete with the seal kit ready for rebuilding.

How are the shocks on the car as well, that can make a lot of difference to how the mk1's work. A nice set of KYB's and fresh standard rate springs can make the ride and handling much more impressive.

Topic author
robd

Re: Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by robd »

I think they are working a tiny bit but hardly at all. On the drivers side they were completely mank except for a tiny bit of shiny disk you cud see at the top & bottom of disc, so thats what made us think the pads were not connecting properly with the discs as the discs should be fairly clean looking shouldn't they when they've been used? The passenger side was no better really, also when I am breaking there is a noise coming from the rear brakes I think, its not sqealing like metal on metal but more of a...ready for it....phoooshing!! kinda lame rubbing noise..kinda hard to explain the noise!! lol

The shocks & springs looked ok, didn't seem seized & were sturdy & looked in pretty good condition. Would like to change them though at a later date & lower the car a little bit plus get some nice 15's on there as not fussed on hte standard wheels. :)

If its the calipers that are seized will I need to strip them down & clean them? Is this a big job & will I need any special tools do you think?

Paff - Do you know how much your mate would be likely to sell the calipers for & would they be ready to fit or need some work? :)

P.S - I have uploaded a little pic of my car now for the Avatar....there is actually some patches on the arches that need sanding & repainting which I am going to do with a mate over the next couple of wkends, he works in a bodyshop which is always a good start :th: I have actually photshopped them out for the mo!! Ooops :oops:

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Would have to hear the noise to really know whats causing it.

Yep stripping the calipers and rebuilding them seem like its the option you are going to have to take. Its not a hard job and the only special tool that could make it easier is a piston wind back tool (or make something with a modified socket), if you get a rebuild kit you usually get a little tube of red assemby grease with them.

I'm not sure how much he's actually getting the calipers for yet so it'll all rest on that. I think they would need a rebuild before fitting but if you want them ready to bolt on I can look at getting that done for you. I should have everything I need to do this so it shouldn't be a problem. If I manage to get the sandblaster finished I might even be able to blast and paint them but thats only if I get time to finish the blaster alongside trying to get work done on some of the cars.

Nice looking little 2 there. Handy thing having mates who can do body work. I've actually got 2 of my cars in the workshop at the mo, one is having a major overhaul and the head gaskets done along with other things and my track car that I'm using for the road at the mo thats in for a few days at a time to slowly get the rust sorted on that as well.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by jimi »

If you have a look in the MK1 section of Know Your 2 CLICKY there's a comprehensive article (with pictures ) on refurbishing the rear calipers :wink:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Thanks very much guys, I am going to take the rear wheels off 2nite & see if I can get a better look at the calipers. Hopefully it will just be the pads or something like that but I think you are right & it will probably be the calipers(wishing...don't be the calipers..don't be the calipers!!) :)

Yeah is good having mates who know what they are doing! lol Hopefully with his help will have both arches sorted soon, can then look at doing other things...money permitting! :)

Paff - Are they both MR2's you are having work done on at the mo?

I'm sooo glad I joined the MR2 Owners Club, everyone here is great, mucho appreciate everyone's help & is great talking to fellow MR2 owners who want to help :th: :D

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Yep just mr2's mate, part of our small collection

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Just to give an update, checked the rear brakes 2nite & drivers side looks like its not floating correctly as the pads are worn on the inner side more than the outer side(whats what my mates said!!). Passenger side the caliper appears to be virtually seazed as you couldn't really move the disk with the wheel off, also pads were worn more on inner side than outer!

I'm going to see if I can get some new rear discs & pads before the wkend & then we will strip the rear brakes down, clean them up & fit the new discs/pads & fingers crossed that'll sort it. :)

I'll let you know how I get on but fingers crossed I will have my brakes sorted by the end of the wkend. :)
Think I will also email some breakers to see if I can pick up some st165/185 discs & calipers for the front brakes. :)

U got any pics of ur two 2's Paff? :)

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Thats the main one, now has different wheels and.....
well once Its rebuilt again

the other one

currently running the 17's off the v6 altho pretty much the same.

Theres a couple more I don't have pics for.
Owens mk1.5
owens Sc
Lyns SC auto
Podges 1.5
Podges V8TT (Work in progress).
Paul Woods original mk1.5 (only the chasis and body kit tho.
another 1.5 (owend by owen and Lyn but knackered engine.
a eurosport kitted mk1 that needs work
a spare mk1 (owend by Owen and me that is destined for some project).

Currently got a mates SC conversion in my workshop will be running a megasquirt ECU.

A mate Jon has a 1.5 in progress on his farm that I'm helping with bit by bit.

Jem (my better half), Rep on here has a stock mk1.

And I've had a few before the current 2 cars, including a mk2 turbo I bought on the Friday and on the Monday it was ripped to bits cos I only wanted the engine :).

I'm bound to have forgotten one as I always loose 1 or 2 somewhere :)

As you can see I've had a bit of a running with mr2's

final pic...
one of the previous ones

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Oh btw if the pads are worn on the inside I'd say the slider is seized as the calipers won't float, you'll be getting the piston pushing the inner pad but no movement to the outer one.

Hoping to have our ramp fitted soon (pending assesment of the floor on Friday) so if it comes to it we might be able to find some time to get your car up in the air to take a bit of a look underneath.

Oh while your under there check the handbrake cables, often the boots split and allow dirt in causing the handbrake to fail or weaken
Last edited by paff on 24/07/08 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Like the cars Paff...sounds like your surrounded by MR2's...more than you can shake a stick at!! :)
Would love to see the V6 when its up & running & also some of the Mk1.5's, miss that turbo noise :)

Thanks for the pointer on the calipers, if the slider is seized should it just need cleaning up & lubricating like the rest of the calipers? Think handbrake cable may need looking at as when I was loosening the nuts on front wheels I was dragging the whole car up my drive!! Hmmm :sad:

Good luck with the assessment, hope all goes well. Do you own/work in a garage then or do you have your own workshop? Once my brakes are all sorted I'll have to pop up & show you my 2 :)

Oh one other question, the GT4 ST165/185 front brakes, I have seen the std discs come in two sizes, 255x25(Imports I think) & 277x25, will both of these fit behind the std mark1 wheels?

Thanks again :)

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

What can I say we like our mk1's :)

Certainly will be able to come see the V6 when I finally get time to work on it :) Currently having a de-rusting of the rear arches, new front arches, have to get a new front bumper bar. Work out how to fit the new doors :) black roof, some sort of suspension, new alarm fitted, second bucket seat finally installed. And thats just some of the work :)

We'll see about getting a 1.5 sorted so you can see it altho I think the only one that works hasn't got an mot at the moment so unfortunatly is not on the road.

Yeah a clean of the slider should be all it needs, if its pitted get some fine wet n dry and lightly go over it before reassembly, that should be fine. You might find the handbrake cable is fine but because of the seized calipers its not doing its job.

At the moment I'm renting a unit mainly for a few of us to work in the dry but am hoping at some point to be able to make it more than that (hence the hope that we are allowed to install this ramp).
Thats as it was in December, it now has a few cars in there, workbenches across the side and back wall, pillar drill, sandblasters, parts washers, big-ass compressor racking filling the upstairs and a few spare parts on shelves :)

Can't remember off hand about the disks, altho I can look a bit later see what I can find. If you like drop me a pm with your email addy on and I'll fire you across an excel file with the different brake upgrades and modifications on it.

Would be good to see your 2.

Topic author
Wolfman

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by Wolfman »

I was about to say "bloody hell thats clean now!! :o" but then I read that it was back in december!! :)

-wolfman

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Yeah its not quite that empty now :)

Its had a bit of a tidyup last night tho so the guy doing the assessment can actually get in and see a floor :)

I'll have to get a pic of as it is now :)

Topic author
Honey

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by Honey »

Am glad to see Hiw was mentioned in your collection babes.....

Yep the workshop is littered with an array of MK1's.... Its great the first time you go over there to see them all sunggled asleep.... I never knew there were quite so many....

And I understand why I never see many this side of the bridge - the south wales lot are hoggin them all!

Jemx

AKA - Paff's Missus.... lol

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”