Mk1 Brakes...need help!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
robd

Re: Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by robd »

Ahhh one of those type of drills...not a hand held one then! My Dad may have one of those, if not there is a brake place in Bridgend called Godspeed brakes who did the big brake conversion for my Mk2 Turbo before, he may be able to drill em for a few quid......I'll see how it goes with these new rear ones first & then decide what to do next. I really wanna get rid of the std exhaust too & get a custom(as straight thru as I can) exhaust as to me it just goes round & round & round & I can just imagine the power weening away!

Lol I think you would go for the money ;) Don't blame ya...ooh clones....now thats a good idea...gutted I never had a twin...could of sent them to work this morning & I could of stayed in bed!! lol :)

Sounds like the V6 is gonna cost you a fare whack then, bet it will be worth it at the end tho...bet its gonna sound sweet too...can't beat a nice purr of an engine :)

Cheers for the vote of confidence Honey, I can't wait to do some decent driving again. The biggest shock I had before was when I went from my old skool Cav 1.6 & jumped into my MR2 Turbo.....it was kind of like learn me or I'll kill you!! lol Had it sideways within a few days & soon realised 1st & traffic lights while turning was not a good combination!! lol

I would love to go for a drive in a Mk1 with someone who knows the car & is a good driver to see what it can do, think I just need to get to grips with what it can & can't do & realise that even tho it is old...it's still a sports car so you can push it. Anyway enough of my waffling on that!

Gonna skoot over to LDS now to get my brakes, may ask him how much he can pick up some Celica discs for new & get some cleaning gunk for the engine :)

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

You could use a hand held drill altho I wouldn't recommend it really.

The stock exhaust really isn't too bad for powerloss, the main reason for a stainless performance one is it will outlast the car and sounds good :) I had a powerflow on the car that nw sports the V6 and that was quite a nice sound and a mongoose on my trackslag and that a nice noise as well (altho sounds louder than Jems mongoose for some reason.

The V6 isn't gonna cost me too much more. It was fully built and working so its just the tweeks and new extra bits I want.

If you can get to you tube..

The old exhaust, has a funny rasp cos its running a bike end can, thats gone now tho, is in a pile of scrap metal somewhere :)
Paff's V6

and photobucket with the new exhaust, not fitted but had to hear it run :)

New exhaust

Well I know the car but good driver, got a long way to go yet. I'll do my best tho. Be a lot better with good suspension but that can wait till I finsh the V6

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

That 2nd exhaust sounds sweet Paff, look forward to hearing that opening up :wink: First vid sounded raspy & a lot of suction noise...was that the induction?

Picked up the new brakes earlier so should hopefully get them all sorted 2moro when my mates come over :) Looking forward to taking it for a spin afterwards & being able to actually stop(well atfer they've bedded in a bit) :)

After watching those vids you've made me want a performance exhaust even more now! lol Think I really need to get the body work sorted 1st tho....cleaned it earlier & is covered in marks as well as rear arches needing sorting! :sad: The guy I bought the car off was a squaddie & to play a joke on him some squaddies drew all over the car...so now my car is covered in crap lines & writing etc!! Tried cleaning it off but its still marked the paint!! Looks like it may come out as is fainter now! Any ideas on some good cleaning stuff to get marks off the paint? :)

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Yep that noise was too raspy and that suction noise was the Induction kit shouting give me more fuel :), even a mk1 with a performance exhaust sounds nowhere near as sweet as the V6 conversion, sounds better for sure but 3 litres of grunt just takes it :D

Best bet to get the marks off is some cutting compound, used it on someones car the other day and it came back sweet. some G3 or just Meguires scraqtchX works well

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Yeah that V6 did sound sweet, add the noise of a turbo to that & it would be like heaven!! lol :yh:

You're up early today mate...posty got me up 2day...twice!! Ah well...least I can crack on now! Cheers for the tip on the mark/scratch remover, if I can get the paint work looking smart I'll be well chuffed. :)

Well....sun is shining, brakes are in the living room, time to get a cracking me thinks. :th:

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Always up early mate, altho I really shouldn't be, only left the pub at 1.30. Gonna have brekkie and go start doing something down the unit.

Goog luck with the brakes mate any probs give me a shout, I'll be back online at somepoint later, not sure when tho, depends when I finish. Gotta decide what to do today, hmm do I get the sandblaster finished so I can start using it, work on the track slag, do something on the SC or Do a little more on the v6, arrrggghhhh too many choices not enough me

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

lol, think u shud start a new project.....project clone paff! That way you could get twice as much done....or more :) You had a nice few hours kip then! lol I was much the same...went to sleep at 2.30!

So what did you end up working on Paff? :)

Well.....we did the brakes 2day....started working on the car at 3pm & finished at 10.30pm!!!! Took over 5 hours to sort the rear brakes out....they were well & truly seized up! Completely stripped them down & cleaned them including the sliders, seals & all bolts etc, didn't change any seals or pistons as they were all ok. The drivers side caliper took lots of yanking & hitting & a bloody big screwdriver to wedge it out into the swinging position!! Was hard work. After that we attempted to sort out my blowing exhaust downpipe/exhaust section gasket!! Some muppet previously, had sheared two of the bolts tho!!! So we changed the gaskets & secured what we could....it is flush & sealed(sort of), is still blowing but sounds wayyyy better! Will put an angle grinder to the bolts next wkend & sort them out. :)

But...back to the brakes, they are all sorted now & are like new(well not the looks)....they are brilliant now...I can actually stop! Well chuffed with them & I already feel more confident in the car.

Big thanks to everyone here expecially Paff for all his help....MASSIVE shout out to Jason & Jeffrey(my 2 mates) tho....if they hadn't of helped me all day today my car would still be on blocks with me sat next to it scratching my head!! lol :)

Well chuffed as you can tell....cant wait to drive it again 2moro now :)

Next step...service & clean the engine :D

Topic author
EvilEclipse

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by EvilEclipse »

your welcome mate :)

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Not a problem mate, glad its sorted now, should give you a bit more confidence in the cars ability :)

At least the engine service\clean should be easier :)

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

lol I hope so, so far everything we tried to do on the car on the wkend worked out to be a bigger job than we thought it would be! Brakes are sooo much better now though...I can actually stop...its amazing!! lol

Yeah already more confident in the car, feel like I can put my foot down now as I know I can stop :)

Need to sort my blowing exhaust out now.....its now got worse since changing the gaskets on Sat..mainly becuase there is like 1 nut holding it on!! :oops: Oh & now my oil gauge isn't working because the cable has snapped! lol...I can see this list getting longer!! :no: lol

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Oil guage is an easy fix mate, just find a standard spade connector that fits on the sender and crimp it onto the end of the wire, then reattach (they never read right anyway). :)

Had Ralph (Wolfman) down at my unit yesterday coaching him through rebuilding one of his calipers, that was nicely seized as well, and also did the front brakes on my bike but they still make a squeek so might need to totally strip them and inspect the seals. But it seems it was a weekend of brakes for all :)

Make sure you get some decent exhaust nuts, standard one even if the right thread seem to work loose way too easily. I've recently done some work on an SC with a similar problem and we ended up getting new studs and nuts as the old ones were mullered. I can see if we still have the part no's or price that they cost if you need them.

The list always has something on it to sort, dont fret tho, they are actually easy cars to deal with once you get to grips with them.

Also showed Ralph hoe easy it is to get the back sliding :) gotta love private industrial estates, I can work on a car and it doesn't need to be road legal to test drive it :)

Topic author
Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

paff wrote:Also showed Ralph hoe easy it is to get the back sliding :) gotta love private industrial estates, I can work on a car and it doesn't need to be road legal to test drive it :)
Hehe yeah that was an interesting experience! Cheers Paff!

Thanks for the help with the car as well! :)

-wolfman

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

No prob Ralph, always welcome to pop down, have to do a Saturday next time tho so we can all go out in the evening :).

Cheers for the bottle of JD, not expected but very welcome surprise.

Oh and Ralph that slide was on the 17's imagine how much easier it used to kick with the 14's on crap tyres.

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

lol yeah those brakes are kinda important, dya reckon they are trying to tell us to slow down!! :wink:

Sounds like you had fun Wolfman, was that sliding the track slag?

What bike you got Paff? Sounds to me like you feel the need for speed!! lol :wink:

Question on the exhaust...do you know if the bolts that hold the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust can be removed or if they are threaded into the exhaust itself? We were thinking about using a disc cutter to cut whats left of the bolts off & then drilling out whats left inside & using threaded metal rod with new nuts! Would that work...if the bolts can actually be removed then I will prob just go with new bolts & nuts. Looks like whoever has been playing with my car previously was a complete numpty....I noticed 1 bolt part sticking out of the head from the exhaust manifold...looks like its threaded too!! Don't think I'll be touching that one! :no:

On the oil gauge wire...I saved the original plastic connector, its just the wire that snapped...was thinking about re-wiring it...would that work or shall I just get a new spade connector like you said? Don't think the wire is long enough now to reach so guess I will have to solder/attach some additional wire! :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”