Mk1 Brakes...need help!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

I think I use my brakes too much, or at least too hard at the last min.

Yeah twas the slag, twas only a little slide but can't really do too much in the day, the other people that may be working might get a bit annoyed.

Got an nc30.
Thats the little toy. It not that fast in a straight line (estimate 130ish) but things struggle in the twisties, it eats corners better than most things I've ever driven\ridden. Needs a new tyre now tho :(

I love anything fast, altho last night there were a few corners that I think I probably should have slowed down a lot more than I did. Scraped my foot on the floor a few times, was good fun tho, real twisty roads.

Right the exhaust. The threads you are on about are studs in the downpipe itself. if you can get the back part of the exhaust off you can use stud extractors to get the studs out or the age old method of 2 nuts clamped together on the stud. it can take a bit of effort but will usually go. From what I remember the studs don't cost too much but can check up on that for ya anyway. You really don't want to be cutting them off tho if you can help it.

Actually I think I have a loose manifold in a scrap bin so might be able to take a pic tonight so you can see what I mean easier.

Thats bad news about the other bolt, really don't want the head threaded, if its causing no problems and not blowing leave it for now, get to it when you have battled through a few more jobs.

If you have the original connector for that oil pressure sensor yeah go ahead and reuse it, a nice new bit of wire soldered in place attached to either end of the snapped bit should do nicely, I'd get some heatshrink on it as well.

Topic author
robd

Re: Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by robd »

lol yeah I bet they do...scrrrrreeech...whats that..oh its Paff again!! lol Sounds like that car gets some stick lol

Like the VFR, I was thinking about getting a 400 one of those if I ever pass my test, think I will have to re-do my cbt as have left it too long now tho! :sad: What CC is yours, I love the wheels on those bikes..look sweet :)

Cool, I will re-use the original connector for the oil gauge then & just solder on some more wire with heat wrap, thanks again Paff :)

To use the bolt extractor, would I need to remove the manifold or does the downpipe come apart from the manifold as well? If you can get a pic that would be ace. Def wanna get it sorted soon as it sounds rubbish at the mo...plus I guess I will have to buy new gaskets again as they will prob be wrecked by the time I get it sorted :(
How do you do the two nut trick(I'm from Barcelona...I know nooothing!! :oops: ) :)

Also another brake question regarding the front brakes, as the Mk1 front brakes are like a few mm bigger than the GT4 discs will the GT4 2 pot calipers go on the original Mk1 discs, I know the GT4 discs are 255x25 whereas the Mk1 discs are 258x22...would the extra 3mm width/diameter make a difference to the calipers fitting?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by jimi »

Screw 2 nuts onto the stud, lock them together tightly using 2 spanners, then grip both nuts and unscrew the stud :wink:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Oh the slag gets treated in accordance to its name, slapped around and spanked stupid (only in appropriate places tho, mainly outside the unit, I drift it out of there every night :)).

The VFR is the 400, had it for over 5 years now, its never let me down is always fun and even when out with larger bikes holds its own. In fact I like it so much that even tho I want a blade I won't get one until I can afford to keep both :) Tyres are a pain tho 18" wheel on the back that most change for a 17 for better choice, I have sticky tyres on there that last a max of 5,000 miles and they aint cheap :(

Will sort ya a pic tonight :) you might be ok with the gaskets, its pot luck but for the cost of them is it worth messing about with some which may or may not work.

As Jimi says with the nut trick :) tried and tested method that and cheaper than buying stud removers if you are rarely gonna need them.

hmm, not sure on the clearance that you get with the brakes, I have some work to do at the mo but if I get a chance I'll go through the info and see if I can find a definitive answer. Altho I beleive the reason the gt4 disks are used is not the overall diameter as that makes very little difference but due to the thickness of the disk. TBH from memory I think you are going to want to use the thicker gt4 disk.

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Ahhhh I see, thanks very much Jimi.....what about if the stud is sheered & you dont have enough room to get the two bolts on? Only 1 out of the 3 bolts is not sheared and that one is threaded!

Dont tell me....I'm stuffed!! lol :no:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by jimi »

Depends how much is sticking out, if there's enough, you might get it with a small stilson or screw a nut on and tack weld it to the stud.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

ST185 caliper rebuild

theres a writeup of the st185 caliper refurb by Adam over on TB. It'll be worth a read through for a start, he explains in nice detail what needs to be done.

Ahh how close have they sheared, if all else fails I have seen them drilled through and bolts used or the old studs spark eroded out of the manifold, can't remember the cost tho. You might also be able to use easy-outs to remove the studs by drilling into the stud carefully they have a reverse thread which can sometimes do the job, be carefull with that metho tho cos the easy-outs are hardened and if you snap tem its even worse to remove them.

The one that is threaded you might be able to restore enough using thread restorers or even a die.

See you're not totally stuffed just being left with harder options of repair.

The next one is get another manifold put new studs in that, remove the old one from the car and replace with the new one, you might even get to repair the other threaded bolt then :)

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Cheers for the advice guys..well I reckon on the threaded bolt I could prob get two nuts on there at the bottom as its quite long...just mainly threaded at the top. One of the sheared bolts I may be able to get a nut onto but the other one is sheared at kind of an angle so I cudn't even get a bolt back on the other day, but then saying that they all had bolts on them before, be it not very well, so hopefully I can get some back on & do what you suggested.

Fingers crossed I can get them off & sort my exhaust out. :) Got a drive down to Reading on Wed morning so we'll see how she fares up down the motorway...fingers crossed she'll be fine but it will be a good test. Hopefully can have a crack the the bolts on the wkend then.

If all else fails will try & drill/cut the little s.o.b's out! Either that or I could just change the exhaust for a custom jobby & just pretend I have no idea the bolts are knackered & let them sort it out!! lol :th:

Couldn't get onto the TwoBrutal site Paff, says need a login so will ave a look at that when I get back on wkend :)

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Ahh crap just realised I didn't get a piccy yesterday, got down to the unit and encountered my mate down there who had just managed to get his Sc conversion running off the megasquirt ECU and ford edis coil pack so got a bit carried away doing some final little bits on that. By the time it was all over I completly forgot. Will attempt again tonight. what time ya coming back from Reading on Wednesday mate, if its after 6 when you're going past newport I'll be at the unit so can arrange for you to stop by if ya wanted.

Be warned, sign up on TB and silly ideas will start to arrive in your head....
Trust me I know :)

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Well....I made it back on one piece the car was fine driving up & down the motorway, done over 500mls over the last 2 days back & forth to Reading. Car was really good, plenty of go in it....although I think the exhaust didn't appreciate the trip! Brakes worked well tho...especially when some Muppet in a transit pulled out in front of me for no reason...I was bumbling along ;) & soon had to reduce my speed to about 60! Knew they were working well then!! lol

Exhaust is actually quite entertaining at the mo as it keeps popping all the time, wind it down in 2nd & it sounds like I got a custom exhaust lol :)

If I'd seen your message sooner Paff I wudda stopped by, passed Caerleon about 7.15 ish earlier 2nite, was virtually out of fuel though so was limping home.

Is that SC completely running now then or more work to be done? No worries about the pic mate, if ya get a chance to take it will be cool but no worries if ur busy :)

Lol yeah I bet it puts crazy ideas in your head...certainly did urs lol :) Can't wait to see ur V6 running.....will be insane...especially compared to my little 1.6 lol :)

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Glad the brakes are doing well mate. always good to be able to stop :)

Nope the SC still has a bit of work, needs oil in the supercharger itself before he can bring it on boost. The launch control is now working tho :)

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Cheers mate, hopefully gonna actually get round to cleaning the engine 2moro & then fit some new shiny toys to it! :wink:

You should have a show when you get all the cars your working on finished, could be a Paff Show & Shine :)

So what car you taking to the Mumbles meet next Sat? :)

Topic author
paff

Mk1 Brakes...need help!

Post by paff »

Oh don't joke, my cleaning before shows has previosly taken 2 days per car, been worth it tho :)

For some reason it seems I'm getting volunteered for all the other cars now, not quite spending as much time on them all tho, that was only for mine :) (or someone whos willing to pay well :)

not sure I'm making the meet, just had shedloads of cash going out of my account for things in the garage (and the guy fitting our lift screwed it up so we have even longer to wait till I can play car go up car go down) so am a bit skint.

If I do make it tho the stripped out track slag is the method of transport

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Ah no way, well hope he gives you a discount then for messing up :wink:

Well hopefully you'll make it to the meet, will be my first one...I'm like a meet virgin!! lol :-? ...Hmm that sounds a little strange....think I'll leave that one there I think!! :-?

Still haven't got around to cleaning the engine...I'm off 2moro tho so you never know...I may actually get it done! :) Two days per car, just as well everyone doesn't get you to clean all theirs as well, you'd be there all month!! :shock:

Money...don't it just suck....need to win the lottery me thinks!! :th:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”