High Compression TRD Headgasket Mk1 4age

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
galea360

Post by galea360 »

Has anybody bought one of these for there MK1s the one Fensport sell.
The metal type, will it make a noticible difference etc? Best Head bolts?
2nd time im doing the HG and this time im going to take my time as i dont "NEED" the car. Im going to clean the engine up whiles doing it. Any other things you can suggest i should do, upgrade or replace while its stripped.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Highly doubt it'll make a noticable difference mate. I've had a failed headgasket twice with my current car as well altho I just get another engine, quicker and easier. Usually works out cheaper as well lol.

Check around the dizzy, any oil leaks by there as its a common thing for the seals to go, its a pita job but worth doing if its all stripped (I have a couple I'm hoping to rebuild to sell just gotta find the time). Replace the cam cover gaskets as well. Check round the oil filter housing for any leaks, a refurb kit can be got for that as well.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

A couple of things to consider, if your having problems with the HG I wouldn't advise fitting a "high compression" gasket, it's thinner and is liable to make things worse (IMHO)
Your engine as standard is non-interference ie the pistons can't hit the valves if the cam belt goes, fitting a "high compression" gasket could make it interference as it will move the valves closer to the pistons.
Personally I would go for a genuine Mr T gasket.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
galea360

Post by galea360 »

cool i will do, ive got all new bolts ready for the top end the Stainless ones, i think im going to go for the metal gasket if its TRD its got to be strong, im also going to check for pits in the block as ive heard this makes them go. I have seen a few engines, but you dont know what ur getting in a way. I know my engine pulls very vell and has no bottom end noised etc and it has only done 75k.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Fair enough, I'd take Jimis advice tho, I really wouldn't spend out on the metal trd gasket if you are having HG problem. Its not gonna make a great deal of difference. when it went last time did tou have the head checked/skimmed if not its worth checking.

I've been lucky with the engines as they have been sat in my workshop or in a car that I know before I've had them so have got to see them running before stealing them for my own car :)

Topic author
galea360

Post by galea360 »

Cool jimi, well i think the main problem was i got given the wrong setting for the headbolts, someone with autodata. I only torqued the head to about 26nm i thought this was too little, he never told me to THEN do two lots of 90 deg turns. Lol Learn from your mistakes eh dont take advice off people with autodata. I have now got MR T repair manual. and i WILL tighten every single bolt to the correct torque setting.

I did guess that the if i raise the Compression that i will run the risk of valves hitting the pistons if cambelt went, then i guess it would be a new engine. But this car is my TOY nothing else for some reason i Rely on a french crap 306 (my other halfs).

millentubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by millentubby »

The headgasket would be kinda useless without other supporting mods.

Go standard unless you're building a high-comp NA.

Bear in mind it's been said by those who know a LOT about these things that 200bhp N/A from a 4-AGE will cost you £5k.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Auto data isn't always that bad at giving info, there are a few different versions of it out now tho :)

however I have a copy of the bgb, haynes, autodata and the EPC on both the home PC, worshop laptop and my works pc so I'm never at a loss for info :)

millentubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by millentubby »

26nm and two 90deg passes sounds plausible tbh.

Sure the V6 was very similar to that.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

29 nm and 2 90deg passes according to the bgb

Topic author
galea360

Post by galea360 »

yes well he never told me about the 90deg turns lol
so mine was to 29nm haha somehow it lasted over 1000 miles and that included a run from Preston (Above manchester) down to Santa Pod About a 400 mile round trip. TOYOTA ENGINES ARE AWESOME!!!

Topic author
crazylegs

Re: High Compression TRD Headgasket Mk1 4age

Post by crazylegs »

couple of other things to think about. a 0.8 gasket will take your compression up to near 11;1 so you will need to think about ignition maybe a unichip or similar. also the change in thickness will alter the cam timing slightly. finally the fensport price is stupid.
search around for suppliers overseas. I got one from NZ a few years back delivered cheaper than i could buy a standard one.

Topic author
galea360

Post by galea360 »

thanks ive gone for a gen kit this time from mr T. ive got it for £103 (ouch) ill be changing th ehead bolts this time too. And ive got te proper repair specs.

Topic author
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

Word of caution with metal gaskets (even if it was not high compression version) make sure the surface finish of the head is appropriate. OEM headgaskets need a certain roughness on the head to 'bite' into the gasket.

Metal headgaskets generally need something similar to nearly a mirror finish to have proper 'adhesion'.

I personally like high compression ratio engines. But you do need accompanying mods and to run higher octane rating fuel.

And I agree with crazylegs - Fensport = Rip off.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”