Changing the Mk1 Steering Wheel!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Hi everyone, I have found a cheap replica style steering wheel on Ebay & just wanted to know what kind of clearance do you need to be able to fit a custom wheel! Reason I ask is I know the indicator stick sticks out towards the driver so just want to make sure the wheel has enough clearance!

The wheel I have been looking at is an Option Tuning 330mm Millenium Sport wheel Option Tuning Steering Wheel
It's not a bad price & I really want to change the std wheel as its too big as I have quite long legs, just gets in the way! Does anyone know the diameter of the std wheel...I think it's 365mm but haven't gotten round to measuring it yet! The boss kit that they sell with the wheel they said is 7cm deep so i'm just wondering if that will give me enough clearance on the indicator lever & if the 330mm wheel will be enough of a difference?

Apologies if this has already been discussed, hope someone can help. :)

Topic author
btell

Post by btell »

Hi RobD, probably not much help but i bought one of those for my old mk2 and for the price its a nice piece of kit. The only thing i always find with the cheaper steering wheels is that they tend to flex a bit but i would recommend it. Exact replica of the momo version anyway!

Cant really help on the boss as mine has been modified to give it a bit more length (oo-er) to cater for us longer legged types! I dont think you would have a clearance problem though..

Topic author
kirsty

Re: Changing the Mk1 Steering Wheel!

Post by kirsty »

I got a momo for mine and had to buy the correct Boss for it as I couldn't turn the wheel without catching the indicators.

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

Thanks Kirsty & ptell, yeah if I could get enough clearance at the bottom of the wheel to actually spin the wheel without hitting my legs would be great. My main concern tho it catching the indicator.

Kirsty - Could you tell me what diameter wheel you have, e.g. 330m or 350mm etc? Also how much did your boss kit cost? They said they do a kit for £10 for that wheel but weren't overly helpful on telling me whether it would actually fit my car or not! :-?

Another question...once you remove the std wheel would the new wheel sit completely flush with the plastic surrond without a boss kit(if that makes sense) or do you get some of the metal brackets that hold the std wheel on left over? Think I will have a go at taking the wheel off 2nite & measure up the clearance to the indicator lever.....is there anything I need to be aware of when removing the std steering wheel?

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

You will need a boss mate, everything will get in the way if you don't.

If noone has replied sooner I'll be at my unit tonight and all weekend so will get measurements of the one on the V6 for ya. stock wheel I can measure when I get home.

Can't remember what I paid for mine as it was all off ebay a long time ago.

One thing to remember when removing the old wheel, this is very important.....
Undo the nut holding the wheel on but don't remove it, when it breaks free from the splines it will fly off and smack you in the head if you don't. You may find it easiest to remove with a puller as well as it can take a lot of force :)

Topic author
kirsty

Post by kirsty »

I won't get chance to do measurements tonight.

I paid around £45 for the boss, and I had problems with being sent two incorrect ones first.

As above, watch out when removing - also, make sure wheels are lined up straight :)

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Good point made there, one day I'll put my one one straight lol, altho it does need to be on the ground with wheels on to do that really :)

Topic author
danleary

Post by danleary »

paff wrote:You will need a boss mate, everything will get in the way if you don't.

If noone has replied sooner I'll be at my unit tonight and all weekend so will get measurements of the one on the V6 for ya. stock wheel I can measure when I get home.

Can't remember what I paid for mine as it was all off ebay a long time ago.

One thing to remember when removing the old wheel, this is very important.....
Undo the nut holding the wheel on but don't remove it, when it breaks free from the splines it will fly off and smack you in the head if you don't. You may find it easiest to remove with a puller as well as it can take a lot of force :)
hahaha i wish that was filmed

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Ah, has not happened to me thankfully mate but I know people it has happened to, including one who put the nut back on about 1 thread and didn't notice it fall off as he pulled the wheel. Oh how we laughed :)

I have a puller with 2 threadedbars on it that stops you injuring yourself, works well for crank pulleys as well :)

Topic author
robd

Post by robd »

lol, cheers for the pointer Paff, I can picture that & that is ooh soo funny...hmm soo...unscrew this...hmm ok...so and.....WHACK!! lol :roflmao:

I didn't manage to measure the wheel up 2nite, washed the car tho...is clean now at least!! Will measure it up 2moro & see what the clearance is like, hopefully that 7cm kit will make it clear the indicator & then I can look into getting that :)

I will post up the measurements once I have done it 2moro. :)

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”