Upgrading ECU? Chipping remapping?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
galea360

Post by galea360 »

What can you do to MK1 a Ecu can u remap it if so what software and connections are used? Can you buy ready made upgraded ecus, if so where or can u get them chipped?

Im new to big engine MODS and im intrested in looking into it. Thanks.

Topic author
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

I suspect it will be like most Toyota ECUs of the time - no remapping.

I would invest in an E-Manage Ultimate. I know it is a piggy back, but I've used 4 of them on Hondas and Toyotas, turbo and NA. And they are some proper sophisticated pieces of kit. Amazing fine tuning control, and best of all, if you're a noob, it starts off with the base 'map' of the factory ECU since all you do is for example add/trim %fuelling on a new fuel map, which will be applied during operation.

Well worth the money. Other than that, the time and money for an aftermarket standalone ECU.

Topic author
danleary

Post by danleary »

yep if you understand the basics of timing and fuelling its not hard to set up it really . people pay a fortune to get someone to set it up on a dyno but get your self a wideband for half the money and you can do it your self . if you wanna change it or tweak you can as opposed to paying a fortune to get it done again

Topic author
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

Oh yeah forgot that, you would need a good wideband, we used the Innovate LM1 but i heard they got a new one out.

Besides the fortune, it is nice to learn to do something new, and there is a sense of pride when you get it done.

I have also seen cars with bad tunes from 'pro' tuners. We remap it and it does a better run at the 1/4mile and driven daily without problems (sometimes being more economic too).

Topic author
skyinsurance

Post by skyinsurance »

Answer is not a lot really. You can get it chipped which will free up a bit of low down power at the cost of losing some in the higher revs. The 4age engine is highly tuned as standard so unless you are looking at spending mega bucks you might as well save for a 4agze conversion or even a 3sgte or V6 conversion. Throwing money at the 4age is false economy in my opinion.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Topic author
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Jeremy aka JMR_AW11 worked on how to remap the mk1 ecu (an extra add on board) i think he just did the SC version but maybe worth a PM, he's on here and IMOC.

He's working on the rev2 tubby ecu now, he is nearly finished and is just in the final stages of tidying up the software for mapping and testing.

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

We currently have a car in with us that is having the megasquirt and spark treatment. disposing of the dizzy and using a trigger wheel to fire a ford edis system.

Currently going through a few little tweaks so not running right yet but it'll get there and hopefully not in the too distant future.

the good thing with the megasqurt is is as customisable as you want to make it.
Once the GZE is done I'm letting the electronics wizz loose on the 4age, v6 and 3sgte so hopefully there will be maps readily avaliable :)

Who knows.

If youre any good with a soldering iron why don't you give it a shot yourself :)

Topic author
galea360

Post by galea360 »

CHEERS thaks for the help, i understand the jist of it but i just was not aware what systems are avialable.

Topic author
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

Yeah megasquirt seems quite powerful, we are trying it on our Formula Student car next year, so I am holding back on making a final opinion on it till then.

Topic author
danleary

Post by danleary »

hte mega squirt can be a wright pig if you not a techinal god

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Actually I'm not a technical god and they don't look majorly horrible.

Even easier if you have someone building them for you, I just hope he doesn't blow any of my cars up, at least not until he gets a basemap off them.

Topic author
NDR008

Post by NDR008 »

If you want me to solder it up for free I love soldering electronic kits together :)

Topic author
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

I used a GEMs ECU with my 288 deg cams and throttle bodies. Now have a Haltech, but it's not yet run.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”