Little advise.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
galea360

Little advise.

Post by galea360 »

Hello i just did the HG runs sweet, but the top hose pressurized and bubbled expansion bottle up. Was i just inpatient when bleeding, i know there will of been a lot of air in system due to hg, i was going to run car for a few weeks then drop coolant to get all the crap out of the system.

I starting bleeding, removed the cap, and removed the Bleed screw on thermostat. bled fine no bubbles. Ran the car, bubbled fluid came up out the filler pipe, did not overheat according to the temp gauge was in middle. Re bled at the thermostat screw fine.

Remove screw from the rad with engine running no fluid came out, turn off engine fluid came out. hmmmmmm. Started back up no fluid came out. Kept bleeding, removed screw from the rad and squeezed the top hose rad end, this allowed be to refill coolant, so it was working, eventually fluid came out even while running. Seems fine at the min need to give it a run but i need to stay in, Ive been "censored" about with it all weekend and i don't wanna annoy my very understanding other half.

I HOPE THAT THERE WAS A BAD AIR LOCK IN THE SYSTEM.

Any ideas welcome because the car is starting to really annoy me lol and im getting close (ive even said it last night) ITS GOING!!!! but i dont want that.

Lorenzo...

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Little advise.

Post by jimi »

:no: Don't use it with air in the system or you'll end up doing the head gasket again !
Follow the bleeding procedure detailed here, exactly ! and it should be fine CLICKY
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
galea360

Little advise.

Post by galea360 »

jimi ur ace!!! thanks ill do it that way tomoz night. I think im there now to be honest, but ill do it that way again, ive got hot heaters now. CHEERS knew u would come up trumps

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Little advise.

Post by jimi »

A hot heater doesn't mean your system is clear of air, the heater is fed separately from the main cooling system, it ties in straight off the block and before the thermostat, so you could still have air in the main system to the radiator.
The system in the article is basically the same as the BGB, but with a couple of tweaks. I know quite a few people that use this system and it works, though I have to say occasionally you get a stubborn one that takes a couple of tries to get all the air out.
IMHO the 4AGE is a cracking engine and will take an awful lot of abuse, if you look after it.
Change the oil and filter at least once a year, more often if you are doing high mileages. One other thing it doesn't like is being overheated.
The cooling system is pretty straightforward and very efficient if looked after properly. Neglect it at your peril :wink:
If you want an idea of just how tough and engine it is ...................... Watch this CLICKY
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
galea360

Little advise.

Post by galea360 »

Thanks Jimi that worked a treat i was amazed by how many bubble came out ill keep checking her over next few weeks. As i really do look after it im sad, i do about 100-200 miles max a month in her and she is my only car lol my mrs is my taxi HAHA

Topic author
galea360

Little advise.

Post by galea360 »

jimi do u know what the part number is for the expansion bottle is the rubber seal is knackered on mine as last night it did it AGAIN drew air in. im going to replace all clips on pipes.
Also do u know the pipe that connects to the bottom of this cap how long should it be? mine reaches the coolant in the bottle between the min and max but its juballe clipped to the cap so im guessing its not the original pipe. Cheers.

Topic author
organgrinder

Little advise.

Post by organgrinder »

might be wrong but could the water pump cavitating?

Topic author
galea360

Little advise.

Post by galea360 »

cavitating explain im quite tech minded but what do u mean its not working properly. im sure i can see the flow of water when i have the rad cap off. Im going to change the termostat this weekend i have a gut feeling that staying SHUT. I had that on a astra i had.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”