speedo

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
bravo1

speedo

Post by bravo1 »

i have searched all over the place to get a couple of answers to this question my rev one speedo stopped working the other day and engine check light came on to show a fault with speed sensor.does the speedo drive the speed sensor in a rev one and is my broken speedo the reason the light came on.i know its common for these cables to break so ijust want to know has this fault come up on other lads cars when cable broke

any help will be appreciated

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

speedo

Post by d-peg »

Don't quote me but would not have thought the broken speedo cable would cause the engine check light to com on. Rev-1's are mechanical drive cables - no electrics so would have thought it has nothing to do with it. Have you checked for error codes yet?
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Topic author
bravo1

Re: speedo

Post by bravo1 »

ya mate its showing that ther is a fault with speed sensor not getting a readin for more then eight seconds

Topic author
paff

speedo

Post by paff »

You might get a better response posting in the mk2 section.
Altho I can't see why you would get an error as dgh says, the rev1 is a mech drive. I could understand it if it was a rev2 or above.

will see if I can check into it but try the mk2 section in the meantime.

Topic author
Stef

speedo

Post by Stef »

The speed sensor on a rev 1 is in the speedo head itself. If the mechanical cable breaks then the speedo and the sensor stop working and the light comes on.

Topic author
NDR008

speedo

Post by NDR008 »

Yeah there is a reed switch that closes as the cable goes round, resulting in pulses twice with every speedo cable's revolution. Change the cable and you ok again.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”