How hard can it be to change a light bulb...!!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
btell

Post by btell »

Head light bulb needs replacing... easy!

Well not if ALL 4 screws are rusted to sh#t! :cry: Is there any other way of getting to the bulb without unscrewing it from the front?

If not out comes the drill and by, by rusty screws! :evil:

nash
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 8

Post by nash »

Which light????

Tsunami
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Tsunami »

Could be worse, could be that Renault they had on Fifth gear. 30-40 minutes to replace a bulb and the dealers can charge anything up to £400 depending on the bulb!
Having said that, my old Accord was pretty bad, on one side you had to remove the battery and on the other you had to shove air con piping out of the way, and even then the correct bulbs were a terrible fit!

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

Id drill out the screws and replace them afterwards, will make future changing easier.
Some of the screws conveniently have a hex head as well, make sure its not some of them as a decent 6 point socket might do the job.

Topic author
btell

Post by btell »

Its the drivers side headlight on a mk1. The screws just crummble as its the 4 (all 4 conveniently!! grr) the hold on the crome surround and i believe hold the headlight in. I did consider trying to undo those 4 larger screws - 2 either side which have a torque drive type fitment but i think they hold the headlight unit in place or something like that?? maybe i should just whip the old drill out and do it properly! Doh!

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

I belive those screws on the side you are on about hold the top cover on so you should be fine on removing them. Basically take the plastic surround off then the 4 screws holding the top cover, or even just remove the 2 rear ones and loosen the front. the top should tilt up on te 2 loose screws and there is an access hole underneath. Lining up the top cover can be a PITA afterwards but its how I always do the headlights.

Topic author
btell

Post by btell »

Paff ur a star! Thank you

Topic author
girl_racer_mr2

Post by girl_racer_mr2 »

aww my bf just changed the bulb on mine and according to my dad he put it in upside down which is why my lights weren't level!

Topic author
btell

Post by btell »

... leave the poor guy alone! these arent as easy as you think!! lol

Topic author
girl_racer_mr2

Post by girl_racer_mr2 »

I know it aint easy! It's why I didnt do it :P

Topic author
paff

Post by paff »

no prob mate.

Work on enough of these to know pretty much everything I need to know about them so jobs like this are simple.

I remember when I knew nothing tho, I used to be the one asking advice, oh how things have changed :)

Topic author
moomoo

Re: How hard can it be to change a light bulb...!!

Post by moomoo »

i gues we are talking about the headlight bulbs? my screws are rusted in solid. so i just remove the front section of the wheel arch plastic. you can eaisily get at them that way. hope that helps.

Topic author
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

I changed mine by reaching up from underneath the car. If you remove the black plastic surrounds it lets in enough light to see what you are doing.

Topic author
vinceMR2

Post by vinceMR2 »

jesus talk about long way round!!

just take out the 4 hex bolts holding the cover on, you dont even have to remove the plastic cowl if your carefull.

you can remove the hex bolts with a coin held with pliers or use a large allen key!

you dont need to remove the glass lens, as in everybodys car they are rusted in, and getting them out will require a drill!

vince

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 15 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”