Stalling issue when first started Rev1

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Tomm
Years of MR2 Ownership: 3
MR2's Owned: 1

Stalling issue when first started Rev1

Post by Tomm »

Hello chaps.

I haven’t been on here in a number of years but a recent purchase has bought me back.

I recently needed a run around whilst I did some work on my daily. A cheap Rev1 popped up so I drove from Bristol to Kent to collect it. All seemed well.

Upon inspection of the car it wasn’t warm, yet wasn’t stone cold either, the windows were open and the needle was just a smidge above cold, I suspected the owner had moved it about on the drive or whipped it around the block one last time so I thought nothing of it. I bought the car after a decent test drive and headed home on my 200 mile journey which it completed with ease. I parked the car up at 5pm and didn’t touch it for the rest of the day.

The next morning I woke up and went to pop out for some breakfast with the missus and it started and then instantly stalled. This repeated 3/4 times. The application of the throttle ensured the car didn’t stall. I slowly went around the block twice and this seemed to solve the issue. I presumed it was just having a funny five minutes. I drove the car all day yesterday stopping multiple times and letting it cool down. Every time it started and drove fine.

However this morning it has done it again. I got up for work and got in, started it up and it idled well. Pulled away and got to the end of the road, stalled as soon as pressure is taken off of the throttle. Proceeded to the next turning and once again stalled, started it up again then at the next junction stalled. After half a mile the car seemed to find its feet and it seemed ok. Then on the way home from work it started straight up, little bit of gasto bring the revs up for a few minutes and I proceeded to leave work, let off the gas and again stalled.

Now this was clearly an issue in prior ownership and the fact it wasn’t disclosed is somewhat annoying. However that’s besides the point at the minute.

So the details are.

• Starts up fine more often than not.

• When cold from an initial start up it will stall once throttle is reduced/removes

• After half a mile or so the issue seems to disappear and will not return unless the engine is let to cool right down.

• Idle speed once warm is sometimes as low as 500rpm.
• Sometimes on start up from cold the revs will try to sit at 500rpm straight away.

• No warning lights or concerning noises.

It seems as though the ECU isn’t increasing the fuel on initial start up, it kind of feels like there should be a manual choke in there somewhere. If I could Heel to toe like a god I’m sure I’d be able to balance the throttle a little to keep it running but unfortunately I can’t.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should check, test or investigate? It’s a cracking car but this fault is already driving me nuts and I’ve only had it 48 hours.

Thanks very much in advance for all and any help.

Morgi27

Re: Stalling issue when first started Rev1

Post by Morgi27 »

It could be the idle control valve gone bad I had the same issue with mine I changed out the icv and fine now or needs the idle screw adjusting to bring the revs up to around 800/1000 when warm

Topic author
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Thanks for the reply.

Both were suspicions but I wanted to get some clarification before I went delving in.

Is the IACV stocked many places for a complete replacement?

Whilst having a little look around in the engine bay earlier today I noticed that the throttle cable is exceptionally slack which I am sure isn’t right. However there isn’t enough adjustment on the throttle body to take the slack out. Concerningly.

Morgi27

Post by Morgi27 »

You can get a iacv second hand off eBay same has I did

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

First off have a visual inspection of the coil. If it is cracked some moisture can get in it and reduce the spark!
Next make sure coolant level is good as the ect needs coolant to read the correct temp.
You can test the ect sensor as per the BGB ( manual available to download in pdf from link on here. Do a search).
Lastly the IAC valve can be removed and cleaned and tested for operation by applying 12v. Look on YouTube.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Thanks very much for the replies.

I had a little look around yesterday evening, leads seemed ok, as did plugs, coil and all associates connections. I know the coil can be tested for output but I don’t know the values off the top of my head so this mentioned “manual” may prove very helpful.

Coolant level is as it should be.

Previous owner said that they had replaced the coolant temperature sensor which yet again points to this being a problem that someone has previously tempted to sort. I will download this manual and check the values and test it.

In addition if anyone comes across this via the search function I have found the following link which details the adjustment process for the 3SGE engine.

https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/T ... 52800460fd

Thanks again for all the help.

abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Also check the vacuum lines and the temp sensor in the air intake.
The sensor in the air intake also the same as the one on the engine lid.

Topic author
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

The vacuum lines. Are these a simple area or is it going to be the mess of spaghetti that I suspect?

Also thank you for the suggestion on the big green book, tried downloading it earlier with not success so will try again once I’m home.

abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Oh and which coolant temp sensor did the p/o replace? The one you need to test is the ect green 2 pin plug

Topic author
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Sorted!

Would the idle up a smidge, blew some vacuum lines out and now it doesn’t stall. Happy days and thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”