MR2 LED install

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: MR2 LED install

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

On the strength of seeing your clock leds, I ordered the same ones, and used self adhesive overhead projector film to pick out blue and red sections that I wanted

I'd previously done an elaborate led install, but they were far too bright - retina burning in fact :laughing:

Here they are now, and thanks for the links :th:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

gavwheater wrote:hi were did you get the strip led light from can you post a link also is there a way to fit this to the front for when the front bonnet is open?
I've done this for both the boot and the frunk - just with two smaller 24 LED strips. I stuck them to the lids of both so they shine down on the contents rather than just across the top. The frunk is possible but you will need to construct your own switch and wiring so they're not always on :th:

shinny

Post by shinny »

GazRev1Tubby wrote:On the strength of seeing your clock leds, I ordered the same ones, and used self adhesive overhead projector film to pick out blue and red sections that I wanted

I'd previously done an elaborate led install, but they were far too bright - retina burning in fact :laughing:

That LED install must have taken you forever, Gaz... sorry to see it go. However it's nice to see your new look... hope you're happy with it :th:

GazRev1Tubby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by GazRev1Tubby »

I'll post up some pics of the leds when I get a chance mark - you'll laugh when you see them!

Why I didn't think about doing this in the first place, I'll never know :laughing:

I'm chuffed to bits with them now, much happier :th:

1996 BPU Supra TT ;)
The deuce will surely be missed, until the second turbo comes online :th:

gavwheater

Post by gavwheater »

shinny > would it be possible to use the switch that is for my alarm or would it be easier to just use a bonnet switch and giving it a positive and negative or putting it on a switch inside the car? lol and what a name frunk

shinny

Post by shinny »

GazRev1Tubby wrote:I'll post up some pics of the leds when I get a chance mark - you'll laugh when you see them!

Why I didn't think about doing this in the first place, I'll never know :laughing:
I've posted it up on a couple of forums now and a few people have said similar. Eg:
numbers wrote:I cannot believe I didn't think of this.
And I work in the theatre/film environment.

Top effort mate. I will be stealing this idea :D
GazRev1Tubby wrote:I'm chuffed to bits with them now, much happier :th:
Glad to hear it buddy :th:

shinny

Post by shinny »

gavwheater wrote:shinny > would it be possible to use the switch that is for my alarm or would it be easier to just use a bonnet switch and giving it a positive and negative or putting it on a switch inside the car? lol and what a name frunk
Yes, it is possible to use the switch for the alarm - I did in my engine bay. HOWEVER, you MUST put a diode on wire that goes off to your alarm, otherwise the LEDs will probably ground through your alarm system at best resulting in LEDs that don't turn off and at worst doing permanent damage to your alarm system.

gavwheater

Post by gavwheater »

lol ok ill put a seperate switch on the inside so i can manually turn them on or off could you send me some diagrams on how to do this if so ill pm you my email address

shinny

Post by shinny »

I can take a picture or two of what I did... tho my install was pretty easy. I took power from one of my amps, used a 2A inline fuse for protection just in case and ran the wire up the to bonnet for the LED strips. The ground went through a separate wire with a simple push switch mounted on an old induction kit support bracket I had knocking around :laughing

MotoCod

Post by MotoCod »

I have a couple of the instrument panel bulbs gone on mine - how long does it take to get the instrument cluster out?

Nice job incidentally, they look really good!

Nik

shinny

Post by shinny »

MotoCod wrote:I have a couple of the instrument panel bulbs gone on mine - how long does it take to get the instrument cluster out?

Nice job incidentally, they look really good!

Nik
Not long...

Howto: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=236

Pictorial Howto: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=238 (but don't use a screwdriver to ply the plastic off!)

Pictorial HowTo I wrote about installing a HUD: http://www.speedview.co/forum/Thread-In ... prox-92-99

Topic author
eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6

Post by eringobragh »

GazRev1Tubby wrote:On the strength of seeing your clock leds, I ordered the same ones, and used self adhesive overhead projector film to pick out blue and red sections that I wanted

No bothers gaz glad it worked out for you

I'll link to that led strip when I get to a pc for those who are
interested

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

The strip itself can be gotten here for $5 delivered:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/261104202154?ssP ... 1497.l2649

and these sticky clips to attach it:

http://www.rawcomponents.co.uk/p-clips/ ... ck-50.html

Topic author
eringobragh

Post by eringobragh »

Door courteousy lights arrived (red),,,much brighter, unfortunately 2 rows aren't working on one of them and I only ordered 2 :(
I'l get back on to DX but its still brighter then the oringinals

Before:

After:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Before:

After:

---------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”