MR2 LED install

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

simon1
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: MR2 LED install

Post by simon1 »

nice post iv gone and bought the interior lights so will be fitting them soon and had already done the boot light (might do a frunk light but dont go in there very often. nice idea to increase door light buy using leds but i wont be doing that one.

My MR2 MK2 REV2 Tubby
210.7 HP, 208 LB/ft Torque, 1/4mile in 14.7023s and castle coombe lap of 1:41 :D

gavwheater

Post by gavwheater »

Hi buddy could you post a link for them cheers :th:

Topic author
eringobragh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by eringobragh »

gavwheater wrote:Hi buddy could you post a link for them cheers :th:
Here you go:

http://dx.com/p/67063

gavwheater

Post by gavwheater »

Cheers buddy ive now ordered a set of these aswell as led bulbs for all the exterior bulbs in head light bulbs and front fog light bulbs :yahoo:

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

gavwheater wrote:Cheers buddy ive now ordered a set of these aswell as led bulbs for all the exterior bulbs in head light bulbs and front fog light bulbs :yahoo:
Please do report back on how well the LED bulbs do in headlights and foglights. I suspect they will be utterly useless, tho I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Currently the best LED bulbs I've found have 5x Cree Q5 LEDs on them, appear to give a similar light output to a tinted 21W filament bulb and cost me almost £40 for a pair. I doubt there's yet an aftermarket LED bulb to match a 55W headlight bulb.

A little comparison I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-GGXAmoXyA

gavwheater

Post by gavwheater »

ive just ordered these fog light bulbs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300776072549? ... 1438.l2649
and these headlight bulbs
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300614114868? ... 1438.l2649
with these headlight units
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0529994416
ill let you all know as soon as they arive and are fitted ill do some before andd after shots for you all :th:

shinny

Post by shinny »

OK, good luck :th:

Just by way of comparison, I have four 501 replacement LED bulbs in my speedo clocks. Each has 8 1210 SMD leds, totalling 32 1210 SMD LEDs and replacing 20W (4x5W) of filament bulb. Your fog light bulbs feature 25 1210 SMD LEDs and is trying to replace a 55W filament bulb. There's a reason those bulbs are £1.24 each, cos it won't be putting out much light!

With 120 1210 LEDs on the H4, I might hold out a fraction for hope for that. However H4s create high/low beam patterns via the reflector build into the bulb that reflects the light form one filament to one section of the reflector lens. To reproduct that affect, the LED bulb would only be able to light up a small proportion of it's 120 LEDs (1/4 maybe) again leaving it very low on light. However I would suspect in reality all the bulb does is dim the light output across all the LEDs, giving a dim high beam and a dimmer high beam.

Like I said, I'm happy to be proved wrong, but if I were you I would set your expectations pretty low on those...

shinny

Post by shinny »

Some pictures to explain about H4 bulbs:

shinny

Post by shinny »

One other thing to note - projector and reflector headlight are designed for a very specifically placed point source of light (ie. a filament). For example, in a projector style housing the filament is placed exactly at the focal point of a parabolic reflector. If instead your use lots of small light sources in different positions, you'll probably scatter that light all over the place instead of forming a proper beam with a pattern superimposed :no:

gavwheater

Post by gavwheater »

ahhh ok well how do the hid kits look in the mr2 any use in fitting one of these just looking into me having more light at night as im fed up of the dark lol my light out put is "censored" im open to any suggestions so if you have any ideas chuck em at me as you guys have more experience in owning mr2's than me ive on;ly owned mine for a couple of months and the only thing ive done to it so far is install the rev 3 or celica st202 engine but not got it finished yet as just got home from hospital after op on mi head on sat just gone so the car is my hobby now till im allowed back to work. :yahoo:

shinny

Post by shinny »

IMHO the best way to get good light out of an MR2 is to install Rogue quad projector headlights: http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/pages/Pro ... spx?cat=11

Not cheap, but I've had standard glass lenses, HIDs in Raybrigs and Osram Nightbreakers in the Rogues... and the quads are the best at lighting up the road in my experience :th:

Here's a demo with them fitted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yd-bd7uSdQ

Also your question pretty much echos this thread posted about 30min ago: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/155918.html

hamster

Post by hamster »

Hi all,
thought I'd have a go at this dash led mod. All went well, easy fitting, didn't brake any clips and really happy with the end result
Before..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354908206.846756.jpg
After....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354908245.779740.jpg
I had to remove the needles so I could get behind to fit the red trans. I was carefully to put the needles back exactly how they were, however, when I started the car to make sure all was well, noticed it now says it's idling at 5k and I'm doing 50mph while in my garage, what have I done wrong and how can I fix it... Thanks

shinny

Post by shinny »

hamster wrote:I had to remove the needles so I could get behind to fit the red trans. I was carefully to put the needles back exactly how they were, however, when I started the car to make sure all was well, noticed it now says it's idling at 5k and I'm doing 50mph while in my garage, what have I done wrong and how can I fix it... Thanks
You took off the needles, that's what you did wrong. I avoid it as much as possible ;)

When a needle is at rest on the rest peg it is still held there by a spring wanting to turn it anti-clockwise. The moment you pop the needle off, the spindle it's on unwinds further. Thus, just popping the needle back on at zero moves it massively clockwise compared to the spindle.

So, to correct it, put the cluster in the car with the clear perspex removed:

Tacho: Start the car either from stone cold or when fully up to temperature, let it settle to idle and then put the needle on - cold NA = 2000rpm, cold tubby = 1350rpm, warm = 900rpm. You don't have to be 100% accurate here really.

Speedo: If you have a bitz4twos / Stef delimiter then you can use the sweep function to setup the speedo needle. If you don't have the sweep activated then when the IGN on, switch the mph/kph switch to the other setting and back. Turn off the IGN and back on and the speedo will sweep and hold at 120mph, then down and hold at 60 (well, 62ish really) and then to 0 (taking about 3-4s to do so). You can thus place the needle on the top of the sweep and test if you've got it right.

If you don't have that delimiter then can find a straight, quiet road (I cannot stress enough this should be away from pedestrians and likely sources of unexpected hazards) and then use a smartphone or sat nav to drive a constant speed (50mph on a clear dual carriageway would be ideal) and pop the needle on while you're driving. That's rather fiddly though, hence I stress caution. Alternatively, having setup your tacho, you could use GPS to work out a rev / gear combination that matches a certain speed and then jack up the back of the car to recreate that speed with the wheels spinning in thin air and pop the back needle on like that.

hamster

Post by hamster »

Cheers dude, much appreciated, although I feel a right prat now. That's what u get for deciding to do a job last minute without reading up first. Muppet

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 11 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”