Rev3 Turbo is 17psi the limit

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Rev3 Turbo is 17psi the limit

Post by jimGTS »

need a boost controller, boost gauge and fcd to increase boost to 13psi.
dont need to touch the fueling as mr2 has a 1:1 rising rate fuel pressure reg.

......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

With the right map; compression doesn't matter
What is the best compression to use. Would it be forged standard 8:5:1 compression pistons with a standard head gasket. I only ask as i want to get it right first time :confused1:

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Steevio wrote:Dont mean to hi-jack but does a Rev 2 tubby run about 10psi as standard? and if i wanted to up that to say 13psi how is it best done?
I used to own Renault 5 Turbo's but they were so easy to 'play' with as they had a carb so if you sorted the fuelling our you could wind the actuator to increase the boost pressure, dont see these been as simples mind you?!?
I'm running 17psi on a Rev 2 turbo with no problems but the engine is in top shape and there are several important supporting mods to go with it. You simply cannot just go winding up the boost and disable the fuel cut and not expect to have problems very quickly. The stock CT26 will not flow 17psi at the top end of the rev range anyway so you have to make several changes to take advantage of the increased boost.

Snoosnoo

Post by Snoosnoo »

Rather than starting a new thread I figured I'd revive this one :D

Lets talk boost level on a complete stock system. My car is a rev3 turbo, pretty much stock exhaust side of things. No decat/midpipe or exhaust (quite like the stock exhaust). Now I have my boost controller set to 1.0 bar. Given that the midpipe is suppose to be a big restriction am I pushing it a little? Anyone has any issues with a similar set up?

BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

I am looking at running 17 psi max with Apexi air filter, upgrade IC and Blitz EBC. I'm not comfortable/confident going any higher than that on stock internals although I'm sure with a standalone ECU a few more ponies would be reasonably safely possible.

Next year will be going the fully forged route with standalone ECU, cams, vernier pulleys, head work, custom inlet and exhaust manifolds.
Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Having done a proper compression test which came back as absolutley spot on across each cylinder.

fueling being spot on, temp being spot on etc I know I could quite possibly run 17psi boost all day with the likelyhood of tears not being overly prominent.

However, I run an absolutley max of 15.5 psi just for peace of mind.

The car pulls like a train, spools up almost instantly and sounds gorgeous.

I’d much rather have it that way than for the sake of another 20bhp have things go bang, pop, crash. ££££££££’s. Lol

Next year however a fully forged build is on the cards with standalone, worked on head wirh matching downpipes and exhaust. So hopefully running a reliable and useable 500bhp.

As tempting as it is, I just like to be a bit over cautious.

Bearing in mind my MR2 is my daily driver or it would be my Fireblade for transport which would be no fun in a Scottish winter or most of a Scottish summer to be fair!

benckj

Post by benckj »

Rather than evaluation what mods are required to reach power goals another way of looking at the limits is to look at what NOT to do. By reading the following link there is a trend of blowing 3sgte engines. Generally, its a combination of high boost, low fuel octane and lack of support mods. Good read all the same especially if you see your own limitations.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130214043 ... ngine.html

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Great link, I found that years ago then lost it. Another great link was on a 3SGTE build and how hard it was to even make 350Hp but I lost that one to.

What you notice from everyone blowing up their engine is that they are all looking at boost levels which is a waste of time, you need to be looking at AFR's because ultimately thats whats going to cause the engine to go bang real fast. You can only run as much boost as the fueling allows you to run, not how much boost the turbo will support. My Hybrid CT26 easily outstrips the stock 440cc injectors and with max base fuel pressure and 17psi its at the limit.

benckj

Post by benckj »

Back when that article was compiled wideband gauges were only used by those with $$$$, which is generally not a MR2 owner. Most did not have a EMS but managed fuel through piggy backs. More common now to have a wideband and tie it to an EMS for tuning & protection. This is important for any engine but very important on the 3sgte.

Figured it was useful to share that link as it took me some time to recover after it went dead. Good sanity check for anyone looking to mod. Another good resource is Powerprimer even though its a bit outdated.

http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm

benckj

Post by benckj »

Oooops....looks like that one is dead now. I'm starting to feel old.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

That power primer was largely rubbish.

They were dreaming about the gains and it was not supported by dyno runs.

You dont need a wide band o2 sensor either. Rich is still rich and lean is still lean on a narrow band. Plenty good enough to know your still on the safe side.

nick

Post by nick »

In my experience (on Nissans) inter cooling is the key. Space is clearly the issue here. Has anyone done an air/water intercooler with the water rad up front? I have seen this work well on other cars.

Increasing fuel pressure would help if fueling was marginal with the stock injectors.In my experience Shell Optimax (or whatever they call it now) was the best fuel. I also used an octane booster. Detonation is your enemy :facepalm:
Last edited by nick on 08/11/19 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

This thread is making me more and more paranoid about blowing my car up. Lol.

15.5 psi is enough for me.

How much truth is there in fitting a standalone being able to get you more power with less boost? Decent mapper being key and all that.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

nick wrote: 08/11/19 11:27 In my experience (on Nissans) inter cooling is the key. Space is clearly the issue here. Has anyone done an air/water intercooler with the water rad up front? I have seen this work well on other cars.

quite a few of the tubo guys have done this mod using Toyota parts, works very well
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”