Retracting mirror retrofit

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Hi all

I'm looking to do the retracting mirror retro fit to my rev 2 import.

My car has the loom plug under the dash, so all I need unless anyone can point out something I've missed is the following:

Relay - Awaiting delivery
Retract door switch console - Awaiting delivery
Retract door looms - Need to source
Retracting mirrors - Arrived today

I plan to smooth off the text and respray the new green mirrors in black to match my car.

I have a couple of questions....

The new retracting mirrors seem loose, even though the 2 screws underneath are tight.
Do they sit firmly when operational?
My current non retracting mirrors are solid.
It seems strangely coincidental that both the new mirrors happen to have the same issue.

I would prefer to separate the mirror case from the triangular mount for spraying, but the same two screws that are allowing the case to move won't come undone either?

Any advice people?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Retracting mirror retrofit

Post by shinny »

Your parts list sounds good to me.

I presume you've read this: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=223
I know it's over complicated for your situation, but it was handy information for taking apart the mirrors to swap the shells (being you don't need to respray anything)

Not so sure about the loose mirror... I'll have a wiggle of mine in a few minutes, but I don't remember noticing anything like that.

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by stuMR2lee »

You can just swap the mirror internals over and keep your original outers.

My retracting mirrors were wobbly on our Rev2. I undid the 2 screws a fair way and then did them up again and it cured the problem.

I'd advise heating the screws up (with the tip of a soldering iron) as they are thread-locked. This is probably why the screws seem tight but the mirrors wobble.

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Hi mark, yup, I've read that guide but I just couldn't get the bottom two screws out!

Stu, a soldering iron!
I didn't think of that, that's brilliant.

It'll work to as I've just got 1 of the 4 problem screws out and I can see that the thread lock must have gone off before the screw was fully home.

I want to smooth off the writing that is proud on the mirror case, polish gets trapped there and looks terrible on a black car! :-)
The mirrors could do with a spray anyway and I don't really want the car off the road while I do the prep work, so I'm just going to sort the new mirrors and then do a straight swap with the retracting kit.

Thanks for the help, will report back later!

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

You pick up these little tips as you go along in life. Always happy to share:). Found it out after struggling with the 3 screws that hold the mirror on. Around 30 seconds with the tip of the soldering iron on the screw head usually does the trick - just don't slip and melt the mirror housing! Not failed me yet. Stubborn ones may take a bit more heat. Don't force the screws as the heads are soft. Applying a bit of pushing pressure on the screw driver also helps.

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Yeah!
Soldering iron 4, screws 0!

Cheers for the top tip stu, worked a treat!

I hate spraying paint, so I'm going to reuse the metal bases from my black car as they are not chipped or scratched at all.

There in lies the next problem, the connector is too big to be pushed though the gap in the metal mount on the new mirrors.
Therefore I will either need to de-pin the plug, or de-solder the wires from the motor [emoji31]

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

No problem. Glad it worked for you too. Quick picture and de-pinning the plug is the easiest option.

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

stuMR2eye wrote:No problem. Glad it worked for you too. Quick picture and de-pinning the plug is the easiest option.
I'm tending towards that option, will give it a go tomorrow.
Better go in now, my lovely wife is giving me evils out of the kitchen window [emoji3]

I've been trying to work out how I can get the mirrors to retract on my cobra key fob, any ideas?

I think I can use the same wires that do the central locking but will need some diodes to avoid having the mirrors retract if I lock the doors from inside.

stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

There was a thread on here recently about the auto retracting. There are a couple of central locking wires in the door that I used on my old NA. I also had an override switch as you don't want the mirrors folding if you lock the doors whilst driving. It was a while since I did that mod and the cars long gone.

Here you go: http://mr2oc.co.uk/ocforum/viewtopic.php?t=160860

Topic author
Mikey637

Post by Mikey637 »

Sorry to jump on to your thread but I've got a question. I did search a while ago but didn't find anything solid on this.
Uk spec car with heated mirrors, can I retrofit the folding option as well as keeping them heated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by shinny »

Mikey637 wrote:Sorry to jump on to your thread
We don't charge by the thread ya know ;)
Mikey637 wrote:but I've got a question. I did search a while ago but didn't find anything solid on this.
Uk spec car with heated mirrors, can I retrofit the folding option as well as keeping them heated?
Read the KY2 link I posted... the author does exactly that: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=223

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Okay, so I nearly have this nailed.

Both mirrors are fitted and the drivers door loom fitted, plus it's been modified neatly in the foot well with diodes and a relay to operate the mirror retract function on the cobra key fob [emoji41]

When I switch the ignition on, the circuit link is disconnected and you can lock the door from inside without the mirrors folding.

I've also fitted a latching override switch under the dash if I need it.

Just got to switch in the passenger loom and refit the door card.

Such a cool little trick [emoji3]

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

Glad you got it done, I miss my mirrors folding with lock unlock but like the Granadors :confused1:

Topic author
madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

Cheers Clive

I do like the ganadors, I smoothed all the writing and swage lines off mine so they look nice and clean

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”