Carbotech Pads

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Carbotech Pads

Post by Howlin_Mad »

What are you running on your MR2's

Looking at some braided HEL lines and some XP8's, but would like to know what pads you are running with stock discs. Weekend toy now, so not a daily driver anymore.

HM

MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

rainen
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Carbotech Pads

Post by rainen »

Hi,

I've got EBC grooved discs, EBC Perfromance Red pads and Goodridge Performance Brake hoses all round. Not had an issues stopping the V6 yet! I know the EBC pads are not particularly well liked on this forum. Given the strength of feeling on the carotech pads I would probably try these out on the next change.

Nigel

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

What are you wanting to use the car for? XP8's are no good for the road, according to carbotech their operating temperature range *starts* at 93C. Out of the Carbotech range, the AX6 would be a much more sensible choice for a car used on the road.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds2.asp
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

rainen wrote:I've got EBC grooved discs, EBC Perfromance Red pads and Goodridge Performance Brake hoses all round.
Same setup as both PeteV6R5 and I had. We went to Silverstone 6 weeks ago and we both had brake issues. These were the pads i removed from my car over the weekend:

Pete's were in a worse state. Needless to say, we won't be fitting disintegrating EBC pads again. :no:

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

shinny wrote:
rainen wrote:I've got EBC grooved discs, EBC Perfromance Red pads and Goodridge Performance Brake hoses all round.
Same setup as both PeteV6R5 and I had. We went to Silverstone 6 weeks ago and we both had brake issues. These were the pads i removed from my car over the weekend:

Pete's were in a worse state. Needless to say, we won't be fitting disintegrating EBC pads again. :no:

My redstuff front pads
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

EBC's quality control is absolutely terrible. Certainly not the first time I've seen EBC pad material separate from the backing plate.

I used some Pagid OE replacement pads (very cheap) for a full open pit lane day at Snetterton 300, they fair better than Pete and Mark's EBC's, which couldn't manage a couple of half hour sessions (with red flag breaks) at Silverstone National. They were still "censored" (glazed), but at least glazed pads are still useable after a full days punishment. Those failures are just dangerous.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

gavsdavs
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by gavsdavs »

I use Carbotech panther plus (not sure of the code), plus the discs from the rogue site which must be a different compound to OEM as they weigh almost twice as much. Also use braided hoses.

You can eventually heatsoak the calipers, the pedal will go soft on you - you need a track to do this, you are unlikely to be able to do it on a road.

I've had OEM pads (Pagid) come apart before (i.e flames, sparks, then metal grinding on metal), but probably as they went proper hot too fast and just disintegrated.

Would always recommend carbotechs now, but Tom is also looking at some porterfields which I'm curious about.

Woody928
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Woody928 »

Braided lines, cost wise you won't get better than these. You will need to fabricate some brackets to secure them though.

http://www.mattlewisracing.co.uk/produc ... wis_racing

Brake pads wise, as Gareth has already mentioned XP8's are not suitable for road use. You want to be looking at the AX6 range if its still going to be road car (these are what I use, TLF and Gavsdavs) assuming carbotech is the route you go down.

Performance wise they are fantastic and are great for the road, they also worked well on Silverstone as well for me, albeit I did manage to glaze them after both sessions (I was driving relentlessly for an hour). This has been resolved with a quick re-face of the pads though.

That's the good news over with, now the negatives (or considerations really). They are very dusty pads, I was not prepared for the amount that I would be required to clean my wheels. You will regularly be cleaning your wheels... (enough said). They are also quite pricey to say the least, the set I recently purchased were about £340 delivered. That being said you pay your money and take your choice.

Also to consider I've heard nothing but good things about the Porterfield R4S pads, Mr Hobson has been using a set for a while now and has only had positive things to say about them. I've never personally had them so couldn't comment, however I've been told they are significantly less dusty and cheaper I believe...

EDIT - Panter Plus are AX6 in Gavins post, and I agree you can still heat soak the calipers on track. No problems for road use though.
Rev3 JDM GTS Turbo 268.6bhp 262ftlb 0.9bar (Current Toy)
Rev4 UK GT T-BAR (Still in the family)

MRturboTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 9

Post by MRturboTom »

Had carbotech before, now on porterfields r4s.
I really like them so far
'94 Mk2 Rev 3 GT-S 295 fwhp @1.2 bar
'93 Mk2 Rev 2 GT-S 296 fwbhp @ 0.9bar

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 7 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”