Advice on body trim issues

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
pogsee

Advice on body trim issues

Post by pogsee »

Hi all, I'm working my way through one or two body issues on my 98 N/A, was looking for some advice on what to do.

Starting off with the cheap stuff I'm hoping I can do myself - I've got trim peeling off the rear quarter window, both sides. Here is the right side

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oFUuZPZE2hg8mgXF6

and the left side is a mirror image pretty much. Looks like I've got two choices here - Attempt to force it back, and use some type of glue if that is how it's held on? It feels really rigid like it doesn't want to bend back into place at all. Or, I found MR-MR2 on eBay is selling a a whole panel for £35 - so I could remove the existing panel and replace. Would that be a heat gun job to get the old one off, and some kind of special glue to get the new one on?

Also here the same bit appears to be peeling in the same place along the T-bar

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xjXCFBj82mnp2jWY8

I'm not sure where to start with this at all.

Finally the end of the front hood is just very marginally sticking up (and yes I have opened and closed it a couple of times) I visited a local body shop for some quotes on bits of work and stuff and the guy said it was more due to the front bumper being too low, but I would be interested in getting you guys' opinion on it and possibly how to correct it

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KS5D7JdeNMWLv1kq6 and https://photos.app.goo.gl/mtafbfDdZF8g12kKA.

Thanks all.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Advice on body trim issues

Post by peteV6R5 »

Starting off with the cheap stuff I'm hoping I can do myself - I've got trim peeling off the rear quarter window, both sides. Here is the right side - https://photos.app.goo.gl/oFUuZPZE2hg8mgXF6 and the left side is a mirror image pretty much. Looks like I've got two choices here

this is designed like this, drain channel off roofline

Also here the same bit appears to be peeling in the same place along the T-bar https://photos.app.goo.gl/xjXCFBj82mnp2jWY8 I'm not sure where to start with this at all.

this is the t-bar glass... unless its come loose and rattles. leave it alone

Finally the end of the front hood is just very marginally sticking up (and yes I have opened and closed it a couple of times) I visited a local body shop for some quotes on bits of work and stuff and the guy said it was more due to the front bumper being too low,

So simple, get lights up. take plastic shroud off. there are 4 bolts that you can loosen and adjust the light cover to fit correctly.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

shinny
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Pete is spot on, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your first two pictures!

However I disagree about that the solution to the bonnet sitting a bit high is solved by adjusting the headlight covers ;)

If you open the frunk, there are 4 rubber stoppers on it that you can wind in and out to adjust how the bonnet sits. If that doesn't do the trick, you can remove the plastic slam panel and adjust the catch the bonnet connects to.

peteV6R5
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

shinny wrote: 06/08/18 11:52 Pete is spot on, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your first two pictures!

However I disagree about that the solution to the bonnet sitting a bit high is solved by adjusting the headlight covers ;)

If you open the frunk, there are 4 rubber stoppers on it that you can wind in and out to adjust how the bonnet sits. If that doesn't do the trick, you can remove the plastic slam panel and adjust the catch the bonnet connects to.
DOH was looking at the top of lights not the frunk lid. what a dummy... Mark is spot on , sorry for any confusion
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
pogsee

Post by pogsee »

Thank you so much Pete and Shinny for the advice. I was weirded out by this as I was sure it looks like it's peeling and it should sit flush. Defo on one side that area looks a little more bent. And you and see that white stuff, I will clean it out! But if you guys say so I will live with it, even though it looks weird to me :D I shall have a look at the bonnet possibly tonight and hopefully that all goes well.

Topic author
pogsee

Post by pogsee »

shinny wrote: 06/08/18 11:52 If you open the frunk, there are 4 rubber stoppers on it that you can wind in and out to adjust how the bonnet sits. If that doesn't do the trick, you can remove the plastic slam panel and adjust the catch the bonnet connects to.
I sadly have to say that adjusting the rubber stoppers to minimum hasn't made a difference - the end of the hood is definitely resting the bumper. but only in the middle 5 inches or so.

Here is how it looks compared to my thumb https://photos.app.goo.gl/akjhUB64tiG1gSzx6
Here is me forcing it down with one hand https://photos.app.goo.gl/b2XrKgXmTwmdAJbW6 when I do this back and forth there is an audible grind.
And in this pic we can see there's a mark made on the inside of the hood cutout where it's obviously been hitting the inside https://photos.app.goo.gl/M5T6LB9mRNk7xDsf8

What would you guys recommend? Is there a way I can force the bumper back into shape safely? I will probably shoot an email to drift limits performance in the meantime who service my car, they may have seen this issue before :)

Edit: Had the radiator replaced a few months ago. Does a radiator replacement involve messing with the bumper?

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim »

If you remove the black plastic cover where the bonnet catch is, it will reveal the catch mechanism. You can loosen the 2 bolts and lower the catch slightly. This will pull the bonnet down more.

If the bonnet is rubbing the front nose cone then it needs slight adjustment at the hinges.

There may also be a touch of height adjustment on the nose cone. Also under the black trim you will be removing you will see a line of bolts and 1 nut the are some of the bolts that hold the nose cone on. You may be able to loose them and pry the top edge up a little and tighten the bolts to hold it there.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
Silord1

Post by Silord1 »

To me, it looks like the front has had a car park nudge. The bumper looks like its pushed in at the top so maybe remove the bumper and make sure the mountings are straight? I think it bolts on along the bulkhead so maybe some of the mounting points are slightly bent which is pulling it out of shape?

Just a thought on how it looks on the photo, not really looked at mine that much TBH so I'm not entirely sure how they are fixed.

abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Bumper fixings.

There are 2 studs either side that go into the front of the wing.
Bolts and a nut along the top
Press stud plastic rivet things on the underside above the grill
The fog lights need to come out to get access and space to pull bumper off.
The arch liners need to come out to get access to the studs and are screwed to the bumper anyway.
The front undertrays need to come off.

Topic author
pogsee

Post by pogsee »

abovetherim wrote: 07/08/18 13:29 Bumper fixings.

There are 2 studs either side that go into the front of the wing.
Bolts and a nut along the top
Press stud plastic rivet things on the underside above the grill
The fog lights need to come out to get access and space to pull bumper off.
The arch liners need to come out to get access to the studs and are screwed to the bumper anyway.
The front undertrays need to come off.
So I was changing my wipers yesterday and looking at the hood and just so happens a local mechanic who works for himself with a passion for old cars walks by, who lives right by me. Does everything, body work and mechanics. Absolute godsend as I just moved into Peterborough a couple months ago and don't know anyone or shops locally I can trust.

So I think I will work with him on this. He thinks my front right quarter panel is an imitation piece possibly, or just badly aligned. He also thinks at some point the car has been backed into slightly or something which has caused this. There are also small, minor alignment issues with both front right panels as well as that front bumper. He's going to have a look at it and also welding my rust spot, so think I'm in a better place now. Thanks for all the tips guys! Can't wait to come round on shows and meets when she is all shiny and mint. :th:

abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

It could have had a bump. The wing is unlikely to be aftermarket, not even sure you could ever get aftermarket wings.

More likely the wing has had a little bump and either been repaired or replaced and sprayed. Same with the bumper as that will likely have been removed to do the wing and may be sprayed at the same time.

It will only take an hour or so to sort out those panel alignment issues.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”