3sge/3sgte short block differences?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Absu

Re: 3sge/3sgte short block differences?

Post by Absu »

Luke2152 wrote: 06/07/19 13:53 Now that is an interesting thought. Does the rev3 sump and oil pump bolt straight on?

I think though I'll stick with standard rev2 oiling system as I'm already acquiring quite the parts collection. I'm planning on using a kinugawa ball bearing turbo so shouldn't need a lot of oil flow.
Hi,

Yes it will fit no problem. Rev3 oil sump will fit on any turbo rev1 and 2 blocks. I've done it couple of times and from now on that setap I'm only going to use. Regarding the Turbo I would rather rebuild a stock CT20 or CT26 stage 1 or 2

Thanks

Absu

Post by Absu »

Luke2152 wrote: 07/01/19 8:22 ?

The lack of oil squirters shouldn't be a problem with a decent forged piston (indeed some people believe them to be harmful due to thermal shock though I wouldn't go that far).
That's a bold statement! In fact that the forged piston made from 2618 alloy is the one who needs them badly! (oil squirters) as they expands more and must run stupid PWC.. compare to a stock Toyota piston or even brands like NPR Racing or Teikin . There are no decent forged piston available for 3sgte in the market apart from Mahle and even they made from 4032 low expansion alloy!! So make your choice wisely! Rev2 cooling system is no go for high bhp whatever is forged or not.

Thanks

Topic author
Luke2152
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Luke2152 »

Well I'm back in the game after a short delay. I got a friend in the 'States to send over some valve springs and a few other bits. Turned out she also send an unspecified 'male sex toy'. Unspecified on the customs slip too which caused a 3 week delay and some very awkward looks when I collected it. And probably a place on a pervert watch list I'm sure!

Anyway that was the last big piece I needed as I'd already had the block bored. Got stuck in and got it spent most the day measuring everything with far too much OCD. Now it's resembling an engine.

I measured it up for shimless buckets and got those sent out from Australia so it's a very international build. (Toyota wants £29 per bucket Aussie bloke wants $6/bucket but $60 postage so if you need more than 3 that's the way to go. I'm guessing he found a big lot of new old stock).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Luke2152
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Luke2152 »

Test fitted the turbo and looks ok. It is a kinugawa gtx3067 which funnily enough is a knockoff of a garrett first gen gtx3067. It wasn't cheap - almost £900 but kinugawa is getting a decent reputation and I'm feeling lucky. It comes with a 'universal fitting kit' which of course isn't universal but has a selection of fittings and hoses (I think it's an SR20 kit with a few extra bits thrown in).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”