No Crank, No Start - Help/Guidance

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
StearmanJD
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

No Crank, No Start - Help/Guidance

Post by StearmanJD »

HI all,

New to the forums and my first post asking for a little help.

I bought a tropical blue MR2 towards the end of 2018, it had been neglected for a while and was last MOT'd in 2009. It had been kept in dry storage after it had been removed from under a tree! Both rear sills are gone, and engine does not want to crank. Headlights work however :D - I know I have my work cut out for this one.

I started with a new battery. Did and oil and oil filter change and now am attempting to get the engine cranking. Added a little oil + WD40 into the cylinders and attempted to turn it over by hand and it turns relatively easily.

At the turn of the key, nothing happens not even a click. The clock however, turns off momentarily.

Thinking there was an issue with the starter relay, I backprobed and bypassed it, only for the starter to not engage fully (I only hear a click from the starter motor).

I began taking the starter off today and after 3 hours of relentless hammering. Absolutely nothing - it's corroded to the bell housing. I did get a little too impatient and ended up cracking the starter housing. :clapping:

So a new starter is on its way.

My questions are:
  1. Is the above diagnosis regarding the no crank correct?
  2. Did I miss anything obvious/ Do anything stupid.
  3. Can you give any other solutions to detecting the root cause?
  4. Unrelated but - I get a whirring noise once the key is in the "On" position which dies in around a minute and a half - it can't be the fuel pump due to the duration of the noise. Any ideas as to what this may be?
Regards,
Kav

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: No Crank, No Start - Help/Guidance

Post by peteV6R5 »

power steering pump does that whilst building up pressure (for want of better phrase).

you have 2 elements, low power solenoid operation on the starter which engages the cog and closes the 2nd element the main high power feed to the starter.
1st is operated by relay ... so simple meter test on those 2 elements will tell you alot.
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... kbartid=86
dowload the diagrams etc from link. it will help you fault find
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
StearmanJD

Post by StearmanJD »

Thanks Pete.

I've got the circuit diagram for the whole starting system printed out.
The starter came off after some more prying. For anyone else that is having the same issue, prying it up from the bottom, then smacking from the top should help ease some of the corrosion.

The terminal that is hot all the time is corroded so gave that a clean and getting battery voltage through it. Not sure about the control terminal that comes from the starter relay - I'll have to check it before the new starter goes in.

Topic author
StearmanJD

Post by StearmanJD »

Just an update; I might have misdiagnosed the system.
Took off the driver side kick panel to find an immobiliser in there. Turns out it prevented the entire system from cranking.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”