Boost controller for more power?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Boost controller for more power?

Post by TonyleFrog »

Sonac wrote: 15/02/19 1:01 How much boost makes 300hp?
T2 made 306.1bhp with CT20b, ST205 C/C, Walbro pump, 3" decat downpipe & exhaust.
I think it was @1.2bar (17.4psi) but I can't lay my hands on the print out atm to check.

If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

You cannot make 300Hp on a Rev 2 with the 440cc injectors so either.

A. The dyno is not accurate. Dynos are never accurate, they are a tuning tool for getting reference number not absolute numbers. The idea is you test before and after modification on the same Dyno to see if what you have done makes any difference at all.

B. Someone factored in that mythical 20% drivetrain losses again and came up with 300Hp at the flywheel.

There are countless Hp vs injector size calculators on the Web, feel free to try any of them.

https://fuelinjectorclinic.com/hp-calculator

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

increase fuel pressure and its possible to get near 300 with 440s.

ive had a host of mr2s chasing numbers, lol.

rev1/2 are limited to a certain extent with their cams, smaller throttle body amongst the smaller injectors and afm situation.

it will be more expensive getting a rev1/2 to 300 than a rev3+ thats for sure.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by Sonac »

MR2DI4 wrote: 15/02/19 10:31 You cannot make 300Hp on a Rev 2 with the 440cc injectors so either.

A. The dyno is not accurate. Dynos are never accurate, they are a tuning tool for getting reference number not absolute numbers. The idea is you test before and after modification on the same Dyno to see if what you have done makes any difference at all.

B. Someone factored in that mythical 20% drivetrain losses again and came up with 300Hp at the flywheel.

There are countless Hp vs injector size calculators on the Web, feel free to try any of them.

https://fuelinjectorclinic.com/hp-calculator
Well i'm not heading for 300. I'm looking for more along the lines of 270-275 so I feel like that is obtainable. As long as i'm not running the injectors at 100% duty cycle and the head gasket remains intact I should be able to tune it in nicely with a controller then. As long as I don't overboost.

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Post up you final results, I will be interested.

It pays to do a Dyno run before you do anything and get a "Baseline". This can highlight problems you need to rectify before you start.

I ended up with 170kW at the wheels after all my mods, but like I said its all still stock exhaust, stock intake, stock IC and no work on the head or valves.

You can only boost the fuel pressure so far. I'm at 31psi at idle (with the vac line connected to the FPR) any more and I get a slight hesitation (from over fueling) as the ECU flicks the fuel pump relay to bypass the fuel pump resistor to give full boosted 17.5V in my setup to the pump.

I have driven a few cars, the power I have feels like 300Hp in a Subaru. You have to remember the MR2 is WAY lighter than many modern cars.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”