Fuel Pump Replacement OE

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
StearmanJD
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Fuel Pump Replacement OE

Post by StearmanJD »

Looking at pricing up my options for replacing my fuel pump.
Ideally would like a Denso, OE quality one.

I believe this is the right Toyota P/N:
23220-43070

Looking up in the Denso E-Catalogue, I get DFP-0101 as the direct replacement.

I've seen threads here that suggest that the Denso 950-0147 kit woud also work. However, I'm worried the flow rate is incorrect and there will be a mismatch.

What is the recommended fuel pump from the above two options?

This is for a 95 mk II btw. :)

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Re: Fuel Pump Replacement OE

Post by MR2DI4 »

The Denso is the best pump. I bought a spare out of the USA for a fraction of what Toyota quoted me. I think the guy at Toyota said it would be NZ$1000. After I got out of the hospital the next day I looked at different options.

The 950-0147 is capable of flowing to the 550cc injectors so unless you have a Turbo and have made serious upgrades and need to move to the pump for the Toyota Supra I suggest going with that.

The only problem is all the fake stuff on the market so you would need to get it from someone reputable.

From memory I purchased mine here....

https://www.sparkplugs.com/product.aspx?zpid=13596

Topic author
StearmanJD

Post by StearmanJD »

Thanks Carl.

I was initially intending on purchasing just the pump (DFP 0101) and then getting the strainer from Toyota, but buying the entire kit would be cheaper.

Do you happen to know te flow rate of the pump you have? I don't have a turbo so 80 l/h was the OE standard. With the kit, 950-0147, I can't seem to find any specs related to the fuel pump, only the strainer/filter.

Also I think you purchased Denso 950-0152 seeing from another fuel pump related thread.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Hi, Sorry your probably right the 950-0152 sounds more familiar.

No I don't know the flow rate other than its whats is fitted to the Rev 3-Rev 5 MR2 Turbo with the 550cc injectors so it was never going to be a problem with my 440cc injectors.

At the time I found some great stuff on the net with regards to testing of various fuel pumps at different actual Voltages to the pump itself. The dramatically increased rates prompted me to Voltage boost my old pump rather than replace it straight away.

I see some new stuff has popped up.

https://www.realstreetperformance.com/b ... rformance/

and the older stuff I looked at.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumptests.htm

And here but the pictures seem to have disappeared.

https://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

I wouldn't think the flow rate on the MR2 pump is high, probably 255-280lph but I have never found a specific test on that exact pump. Even just upgrading the stock wiring can improve the Voltage to the pump and hence the flow rate and putting 17.5V on mine returned the base stock fuel pressure to the maximum Toyota spec.

No point going for a huge overrated pump if you don't need it and you would also have to fit an adjustable FPR to compensate.

Topic author
StearmanJD

Post by StearmanJD »

Thanks Carl; some really useful information here!

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

This is a good link that shows comparisons with OE and aftermarket pumps. The OE falls off much quicker than others in the higher flow range.

http://www.wolfkatz.com/Articles/MR2%20 ... Report.pdf

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

benckj wrote: 27/02/19 19:08 This is a good link that shows comparisons with OE and aftermarket pumps. The OE falls off much quicker than others in the higher flow range.

http://www.wolfkatz.com/Articles/MR2%20 ... Report.pdf
Yeah some pretty good stuff there also. I would note that I don't see any fuel pressure above 59psi and thats at full boost of 17psi. The Voltage boosting of my setup did increase the fuel pressure about 4psi however as I recall the low fuel pressure warning light started coming on at 28psi before the mod. You can get fuel pressure spikes when you quickly come off the gas.

The stock pump is fine as long as its not 25 years old. I still recommend a fuel pressure gauge regardless of the age of the pump, its a quick visual indication your not going to blow your engine under boost.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Agree, fuel gauge is very useful especially if it’s attached to an adjustable high flow FPR. Mine helped diagnosis a failing OE pump at under 100kms on odometer. Once removed I found it wasn’t shimmed correctly and the brushes rubbed on rotor shaft causing it to stick. Not a great quality build as others would contest.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yes but what I'm finding is there is now a great deal of fake products in the market.

No kidding I bought a cheap set of "NGK" iridium plugs out of China. Yep I'm pretty stupid as NGK is made in Japan but you just cannot resist a set of 4 plugs shipped for $20. bloody good fakes right down to the boxes but the finish on the ground electrode where someone had hit ot with a hand file or worse was a bit of a giveaway.

The fakes are now endless from watch batteries, clothing and automotive parts.

I mean sometimes you don't care if its for a non critical application but in automotive unless its the fake TRD gear knobs I bought for about $8 delivered its a BAD idea when it leads to expensive damage.

The fake knobs are good as well, all they need is an M14 x 1.25mm intermediate tap up the guts and they are good to go. You do however need to make yourself a decent boot holder and the cheap Chinese ones needed work on the lathe but better than starting from scratch as they have nice anodized finish....anyway I digress.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”