Curious about Cooling behaviour

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Curious about Cooling behaviour

Post by S81933 »

Right:
Mk2 Rev 2 N/A.
From stone cold, it takes a little while (3-4 minutes) for the temp gauge to get moving.
It then sits steady as a rock with the needle just in line with the thermometer bulb on the guage all day long.
Until...I get stuck in a long stationary queue. Whilst it's sitting there, guage stays put, but...when we get going again, it drops right down to cold and then comes back up again after a couple of minutes.
I'm not concerned about it as such,as it seems to sort itself, would just like views on why it does that, does it indicate a thermostat issue? Coolant level looks OK.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Curious about Cooling behaviour

Post by benckj »

When was the last time coolant and t-stat changed?

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

Dodgy thermostat.

Topic author
S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by S81933 »

Coolant and thermostat not changed in last three years since I've had it, don't know about before then.

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

likely theromstat.
once warm, the needle should remain a little under half way on the gauge is ALL conditions. Shouldnt budge.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

I agree with others here, its sounds like the thermostat getting "Stuck" open.

The temperature sender for the gauge is worth a check. I had to replace mine way back because the male spade connection terminal on it was loose. Its been fine now for like 20 years.

reversao

Post by reversao »

I would say thermostat or water pump (less likely).

Of course start with thermostat as is cheap as chips or even try to bleed the system first. It might be an air blocked.

Water pump is lets say rev related as is driven by the motor. The higher rev the faster water flows so when you are stopping the water flow is limited. When you rev it water manage to go through as there is more pressure through the stat so most likely your stat is busted.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

How clean is your coolant ? if the system has not been running antifreeze rust inhibitor it will be a mess with possible blockages. If its really clean just swap out the Thermostat. Get a genuine Toyota one, its very well made the aftermarket ones are crap. Bit of a pain to change its on the front drivers side of the car engine but its much easier to get to with the A/C pulled out of the car.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”