Starter motor?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Jaseb1987

Starter motor?

Post by Jaseb1987 »

Hi all,

Jumped in the car last night, started up fine, drove to Tesco to get some fuel, got back in car and turned key and nothing. Thinking it was immobiliser, I locked and unlocked car and still nothing. No noises, no clicks, literally nothing. All lights on dash lit up etc. Tried a few more times and ot started straight up. After a long drive and got home, I switched off engine and when I tried to start again nothing. I held key in the start position for about 4 secs and tried to turn over again and it started straight up and then did the next 4 times. What do you guys think this could be.

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Starter motor?

Post by notroubleclubber »

Sounds like a dodgy connection to the battery to me.
I had this problem and bought some new battery post connectors from halfords and havent had a problem since.
Its surprising how tight they need to be to get power to the starter.

StearmanJD
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Starter motor?

Post by StearmanJD »

I had a similar problem a while back. I tried to start, but nothing happened. It was the immobiliser - I assumed that it only had an aftermarket alarm and used the stock immobiliser.

A faulty battery/connection as Mark mentioned could also be the culprit - probably the easiest check you could do atm.

To see if it's the starter, you need to see if you have battery voltage going to the starter and whether you have battery voltage going to Pin 1 of the starter relay when the key is in the "Start" position and the clutch is pressed.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 5 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”