Won't start

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
DaveWS

Won't start

Post by DaveWS »

Hi all, my rev 2 turbo won't start. Any ideas? I parked up at home and needed to pop out again a mins later and suddenly she won't fire up. The starter motor turns over just fine. Thanks

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Won't start

Post by chaos19810 »

It could be lots of things, start with the basics fuel, spark, compression. After that I’d guess wiring

Topic author
DaveWS

Post by DaveWS »

Thanks the tips. I tried starting again today with another plug fitted outside the block and it wasn't sparking for the first few cranks but then this time did start sparking. Popped the lead back on and it fired up, albeit hesitantly. I guess I need to look at the distributor more closely :)

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber »

Id say coil as they are most prone to crack and break down.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

DaveWS wrote: 20/04/19 19:26 I guess I need to look at the distributor more closely :)
I'd check the condition of the rotor arm and cap contacts, giving them a clean up may help.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
DaveWS

Post by DaveWS »

Upon removing the ignition pack the other week I ordered a replacement in better condition, as it was cracked and really badly corroded. Having fitted the replacement today, I'm still having problems.

The car started and idled for a couple of mins before it started to cut out and eventually die. It did this a couple more times, each time running for less time until it reached the point where it wouldn't fire up at all (engine still cranks).

There's some other weird stuff going on though. Basically when the ignition is on and the engine is off, the engine light randomly comes on and off. At the same time, I can hear a relay in the engine bay coming on and off (I think fuel pump). When the engine light is off, the fuel pump is off, when's it's on, the pump is seemingly on. I wanted to do some more testing but won't get the chance until Monday probably now, busy tomorrow and over the weekend.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Topic author
DaveWS

Post by DaveWS »

Update:

Having been advised over on imoc about possible leaking ECU capacitors, I opened up the ECU, and sure enough, two of the 10uF ones were leaking and clearly needed replacing. After replacing them, I tested the car again, and nothing. After a couple more exasperated hours of checking the wiring, earthing etc in the engine bay, I opened up the ECU to check if a trace on the ECU had been damaged with the corrosion. Again sure enough, I discovered just that, and soldered a jumper wire which, after refitting, allowed the old girl to fire up again. It's pretty hilarious that this single red wire is now facilitating the function of my car now, but there we are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Interesting how the Rev 1 Turbo ECU doesn't have this problem. I have 3 spare ECU's that are all tested sitting as spares so opened one up and the board layout is totally different. That C512 capacitor doesn't even exist.

No sign of leakage anywhere on the Electrolytics that are on the board.

So just to be clear if your ECU is Toyota part number 89661-17320 its not affected.

Probably a good idea for those with the faulty versions to post up the numbers, that way its really easy to owners to check without pulling it out of the car and opening it up.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”