Intermittent battery charging problem.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Intermittent battery charging problem.

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

So when driving to ASDA earlier the battery warning light came on and my disbursal voltmeter showed the battery was down on power.

When I stopped I had a look at what I could and obviously checked the battery connections which all looked and seemed fine.

On driving home the issue continued and then the brake fluid level light came on as did the alternator light, here:

Car seemed to idle a bit higher than usual as well, say 1200 rpm, but a hard burst of acceleration and the lights went off and the battery started charging again. Then a mile later the same thing happened and put my foot down and it was all fine again. Alternator is about 18 months old and had to get some sort of adapter connection when it got the rev 3 rear clip installed.

Seems like just a loose connection or similar, anyone else had this happen or somebody electrically minded point me in the correct direction.

Thanks.

benckj

Re: Intermittent battery charging problem.

Post by benckj »

Giving your symptoms I’d guess the alternator rectifier is failing. Often it will result in intermittent voltage levels as the regulator has broken or shorted diodes. What did you actually replace 18 months ago (new, rebuilt or re-conditioned)?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

A fairly common fault on MK2's is broken cores in the wiring to the alternator, this article explains how to diagnose whether it's a wiring or alternator problem https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/component/fss/? ... kbartid=51
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

benckj

Post by benckj »

Interesting article on testing alternator. Never suspected a wiring fault issue is common on MR2’s. Must occur at a flex point somewhere like the door harness.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

They often go somewhere in the harness that runs along the inlet side of the head, I've repaired two that have gone there and one that had a broken wire down close to the alternator plug. whether it's down to heat and vibration (or flexing) I don't know, so I'd say it's not an everyday fault but common enough to be checking before changing the alternator, mainly a MK2 problem, but not unheard of on the MK1 as well. Not aware of anything similar on the MK3, but that may come with age.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

That wiring fault seems to be much more common on earlier SW20's, we'll see if it crops up on more Rev3/4/5's over the next few years to test that theory I guess.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

SonicSW20 wrote: 27/04/19 14:32 That wiring fault seems to be much more common on earlier SW20's, we'll see if it crops up on more Rev3/4/5's over the next few years to test that theory I guess.
Can't remember the years of the cars I worked on :blush: seem to remember a couple of N/A's and a Turbo. age/mileage may well be a factor, as you say time may well provide some clarification :th:

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

The four red dash lights of death.

Currently having the same problem. The diodes in the rectifier pack of the alternator were fried in mine. 3 of the 6 diodes were dead causing intermittent charge and very little charge at idle.

Its new alternator time.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

The alternator was new 18 months ago, brand new not a cheap recon.

It’s gone pop so it’s in getting done this week.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 28/04/19 12:57 The alternator was new 18 months ago, brand new not a cheap recon.

It’s gone pop so it’s in getting done this week.
Define "New" . I just bought a "New" Alternator and its largely crap. I would give it a life of 2 or 3 years if used as a daily driver.

The problem is that they are not always 100% new on the inside.

I came across a post while searching that said either MR Ben or RareElectrical were the best for MR2 Alternators.

You can cross Eagle Automotive off the list, it doesn't fly.

For a major forum only about MR2's there should be much more information about Alternators, whats good, whats bad, part numbers and suppliers for parts for them. I have been days on Google so far and I'm chasing my tail in this part of the world. Cannot get actual dimensions from people selling the Diode Rectifiers on E-Bay to check fitment so I'm off to a local supplier on Wednesday with my faulty ones to check for a match.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

New alternator fitted last weekend.

Problem solved.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”