Do I have a rev1 or rev2?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
AlexMR2MK2

Do I have a rev1 or rev2?

Post by AlexMR2MK2 »

Hello MR2 owners,
I have just bought a white 1992 N/A MK2 with a blue interior. I have bought it as a project as it needs new sills and some work doing inside the back of the rear arches. It could also do with a respray, but other than that it is reasonably tidy. Bought for £500 with 137,000 miles on the clock which I think is quite a reasonable price.

The reason I am posting this, however, is that I am uncertain if it is a rev1 or a rev2 and there is an awful lot of conflicting information on the internet (as usual). The previous owner advertised this as a rev2, and a quick google search prior to purchasing showed that he was correct, however now I am not so sure.

Some people say that production of the rev1 ended in 1991, some say it continued into early 1992. This car was first registered February 92.

Some say that only the rev1 came with 14 inch wheels, some say that some rev2s did too. This car does have 14 inch wheels.

One forum poster stated that rev1 chassis numbers go up to 0059265, the number of this car appears to be 0055450.

This all suggests that what I actually have is a late rev1, but I would appreciate some expert advise on any other things I can look for to be absolutely sure.

I was originally only looking at cars I thought to be rev2 and higher, on the advice of everyone on the internet talking about this supposed 'snap oversteer'. It is not necessarily a problem if it is in fact a rev1, I am still very chuffed with it, but I would really like to know for certain what I have.

If anyone has any enlightening information I would greatly appreciate it, and I am very excited about being an MR2 owner!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Do I have a rev1 or rev2?

Post by jimi »

If it was first registered in Feb 1992 then it was almost certainly built in 1991 since they were all built in Japan and shipped by sea to the UK. Chassis numbers are here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... kbartid=98
Rev changes are here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.htm ... bartid=102
If you pm me the VIN number I'll tell you the month/year it was built. ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”