Stuck slider pin on front brake

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
timnutt

Stuck slider pin on front brake

Post by timnutt »

Hi,
Front brake is binding on my MR2 Mk2 Rev2 Turbo. One of the slider pins is find, the other is so stuck I can barely turn it will a long breaker bar. Must be so rusted up. Any ideas trick on how to remove it . I've tried applying WD40 and some heat. Then wacking it with a hammer and chisel, but given the angle there isn't enough force. It is well stuck. Maybe I just need a whole new torque plate :-(

Thanks
Tim

rgb
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 21
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Stuck slider pin on front brake

Post by rgb »

just stick with it heat and wd40 keep trying till you shear it off ,then you've got another problem it will come off in the end

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

keep moving it in circular motion until it frees up it will loosen, lashings of WD40 helps.
1st one I did took me near 2 hours to get out.
then its a clean out of the slider runway, regrease and refit new one.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Hit it with a hammer and a punch.

What happens with these is that the caliper itself rusts in the hole, the rust expands and squeezes the rubber between the caliper and the pin to the point it can cease solid.

When you get it out, pull the rubber, clean the hole and rust nutralise it, refit the rubber and you will be good to go again.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”