Electrical gremlins

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Mr_Nubootu

Electrical gremlins

Post by Mr_Nubootu »

Hey lads, I picked up a 93 mk2 turbo (jdm import). noticed when I was buying it the tacho didn't seem to be super reactive. like when it was revved the tach only moved 1500rpm. I've also noticed that the alternator wasn't charging although there was no charge light on the dash. I've since swapped out the alternator thinking that was the problem but still only have 12.1v while the cars running. The fuel gauge and the speedo aren't working either but the boost gauge and temp seem to be working but i'm not 100% sure. I've found one of the plugs that are attached to the power steering control box in the frunk thats been chopped and doesn't go anywhere. i think its a 2 wire plug but ill try post a pic after work this arvo. Any help would be appreciate because ive got no idea.

Topic author
Mr_Nubootu

Re: Electrical gremlins

Post by Mr_Nubootu »

I forgot to add too if i leave the battery connected overnight it totally drains the battery.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

1st point is to check all fuses in the 3 fuse box locations.
footwell for ALT fuse which feeds the alternator.
2nd point is once the fuses are ok, check each circuit for power drain. ammeter inline with batt to live. pull each fuse and see which circuit drops the current flow.
this will give you starting point or parasitic drain.

the chopped plug sounds like an issue with what it feeds so they just got rid of it. need to find out whats going on and fix it.

you post sounds like you are trying to fix everything, in these cases you need to be logical and fix 1 thing at a time, then progress onto the next logical issue.

good luck with sorting them
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

Just a couple of points
1 is it a genuine turbo or has someone dropped in a turbo engine? This could affect the wiring in respect to the body loom pins at the ECU and one of the plugs in the engine bay fuse box. ( I believe the black/yellow alt sense wire runs to this fuse box)
Give Toyota parts dept a call with your VIN and see if it brings up a jdm GTS.
2 if the cut plug is on the passenger side has the Aircon been removed? There is a sensor that lives there and if disconnected the fan will run constantly.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
Mr_Nubootu

Post by Mr_Nubootu »

its a genuine turbo from factory. Im fairly sure the AC has been disconnected as it doesn't work although the condenser etc is still in it so that would make sense. i'll triple check the fuses again this arvo. you don't reckon the dash being buggered could be related to the charge fault at all?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

It's not uncommon to get alternator wiring problems with the MK2, hence my link to the fault finding guide ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”