Rev 2 G-Limited Electrical Woes... AM2 fuse popping... and more.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
xjairusx

Rev 2 G-Limited Electrical Woes... AM2 fuse popping... and more.

Post by xjairusx »

Hi guys,

Long time no see! Hopefully see some familiar faces from many years ago here.

Well... I bought an MR2 to save it going to the scrap heap... a Rev 2 Import G-limited T-bar... it needs quite a bit of love... Sills, calipers, wheels at the very least. It came with a toad alarm that prevented me from getting an EML at all when bridging EFI relay 1-3 pins etc as it would arm the system and it didn't like it much!

So i set about ripping out the alarm... which was installed in the rear passenger quarter near the amp. The install was a bit of a mess with birdnests of wires... I have removed and joined all other wires... bridging the EFI relay on pins 1-3 finally gave me an EML. It always cranked but that was it... so I was getting somewhere.

The fuel pump is goosed unfortunately and bridging FP+ and B+ didn't produce any voltage... I now get about 3V after fiddling (when bridging DLC FP+ And B+) with some wiring and finding some burnt out wiring under the fuse box. The black with a yellow strip cable that appears to goto the circuit open relay was half burnt out so I took it back as far into the loom as I could and has to bypass the main connector entirely. It's almost in a position to go... i've had it running on easy start just about so there is a spark... I connected a test light to the front AM2 fuse which kept popping whenever I bridged pins 2-4 on the efi relay... I thought i'd fixed it today by rectifying that bit of wiring but unfortunately not.

I was wondering what the resistance should be across the pins at the EFI relay location rather than on the relay itself as I think there is some kind of short going on there perhaps? I tried disconnecting component related to the AM2 fuse, distributor, cold start injector switch, Starter Relay (S6), Fan Main Relay No. 1,2 and 3 (Position 3 front compartment). and none seemed to fix the error... the only one that stopped the fuse popping was technically the Ignition Main Relay (Compartment 2 rear engine bay) I guess that I was half bypassing? I tested the relay itself out today as it seemed to be making noise when power was connected but on internal investigation the points inside were knackered.

I know the fuel pump itself appears to be buggered along with the fuel lines... so getting fuel is another issue that will need to be addressed but I'm having a nightmare trying to find this short circuit.

Otherwise... I still appear to have 2 cables left over from the alarm install (I hope!), there were two electrical taped wires running from in the engine compartment (not sure what it was connected to as it wasn't when I got to it, maybe a bonnet switch or alarm horn) which appear to have constant 12v and also continuity to chassis ground. They go up behind the dash and appear to disappear inside a yellow box (door lock control unit?), rather than to the connector itself they go inside the unit?

Any suggestions and advice welcome from the experienced!

Topic author
xjairusx

Re: Rev 2 G-Limited Electrical Woes... AM2 fuse popping... and more.

Post by xjairusx »

Well... maybe i'm chasing something that isn't even there... I placed a multimeter instead of the wire bridge at the 2 and 4 pins at the efi relay location in the rear and it appears to be 12v ignition live running across there... My test light stayed out to my surprise. Maybe i've been reading the pins totally wrong or something? :S. Going to buy an EFI relay, place it in and see what happens...

Also whilst the multimeter was in place... I bridged B+ and FP and actually got 12v at the fuel pump... so now I just need a fuel pump! Do I go OEM or fit something in line and extend the pump wiring to wherever I locate it? Fuel pipes will need replacing either way I guess so perhaps I just bite the bullet with the fact i'll have to drop the tank? unless lines are accessible without?

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Drop the tank is a pita, but really is the best option, oem pump should be ok .
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
xjairusx

Post by xjairusx »

Bit of a pain deciding what fuel pump to go for tbh. lol. OEM Denso from the states is pretty pricey £120+/ Walbro about £60... walbro copies £20 upwards some with warranty but I don't want to be dropping the tank in 3 months time. Someone recommended a HRC pump of sorts which look ok but are they just walbro copies with a fancy logo etched on the casing? Pretty tempted to ignore the broken pump, throw an inline on the bulkhead at the back and replace fuel pipes.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”