Rev1 to rev 4 engine, wiring at ecu

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Rev1 to rev 4 engine, wiring at ecu

Post by abovetherim »

Hi guys and girls, I'm currently in the middle of this swap and I've hit a snag.
Clive graciously sent me the 22 pin plug swaps and the fuse box swaps but there is another plug that doesn't match up.
The white plug that goes from the body loom to the engine loom doesn't match up. The rev1 has only 5 wires in it and the rev3 socket has 10.

Now some of the wire colours match but obviously there are more wires on the engine loom

HELP
Last edited by abovetherim on 06/07/19 17:06, edited 3 times in total.

1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
abovetherim

Re: Rev1 to rev3 wiring at ecu

Post by abovetherim »

Ok so after tracing the 5 wires in the rev 1 engine loom I found that 3 of them go to the cooling fan relay. 1 of them go to what looks like abs plug (never been plugged into anything) and the last wire goes to CCO in the diagnosis box.

So in the rev3 plug for the cooling fan relay I have 3 matching wires so I have attached the white plug end of these to corresponding ones in the rev1 plug.

I'm just worried there may be other things that need connecting from the rev3 white connector.
We'll see if the car starts and see if everything works.

The other thing that concerns me is the power steering as on the rev1 it has 2 wires at the 22pin plug but the rev3 only has one pin labelled ps.

Tomorrow I will hopefully get all the mechanical stuff buttoned up (mental note to charge battery whilst doing so), add oil, and coolant and see what goes pop
🤪

Topic author
abovetherim

Re: Rev1 to rev3 wiring at ecu (UPDATE)

Post by abovetherim »

Today i got some of the mechanicals done, subframe, control arms, ARB, drive shafts in, gearbox oil, engine oil and some coolant.
Time to try and start.....
Fired up and hunted for 4-5 secs and died. This repeated every time i started it.
Checked the codes as the engine light was on. Got 31 and ?99?. 31 being vacuum control?

The tps was at the max of its adjustment so I thought i would check it and it needed adjusting. But still wouldn't stay running.
double checked the COR green/red wire and all good, moved to 14 on the 26 pin plug.

Now I think i remember helping a chap in coventry get his swap to run after researching the pin swap issues. I sort of recall some thing about a pink wire.

Having had both ecus open and looking at the pinouts and labels there is a Pink cco wire in the 22 pin plug but the cco on the rev3 is in the 12 pin socket.

I may try moving this in the morning if i get time before work.

OK clever people, what does the cco relate to?
Any other thoughts on this?

Now a caveat about the code 31. The acis vsv had the nipple for a hose snapped off when i got the engine. So I took one off the rev1 that has the same ports and connection and looks the same but does it act the same???????

I also need to check all the vac lines are in the right place as several were disconnected. So does anyone have a schematic of the rev3 vac lines?

Topic author
abovetherim

Re: Rev1 to rev3 wiring at ecu (UPDATE)

Post by abovetherim »

Latest update is
pretty sure all the wiring is correct..... maybe as i found and old post with the wiring for the white plugs. I got the 3 wires i'd already done correct but there is a 4th change required 8-9 on the diagram but i don't have a wire in position 8!
I was checking that the injectors had 12v with one of them disconnected and the car idled for about a minute on 3 cylinders which pointed me back to the vac lines as i wasn't sure of the routing etc.

What i found is the fuel pressure vsv had a vac line going to atmosphere and the nipple by the vent has been snapped off and no corresponding vac line loose anywhere.

This by no means confirms its a fuel pressure problem but i need to address it before looking elsewhere.
see new thread

Topic author
abovetherim

Re: Rev1 to rev 4 engine, wiring at ecu

Post by abovetherim »

A bit more info now.

The engine I fitted was a rev 4 engine and I was using the ecu that came with it. It was only when was struggling to get it running did I realise it was a rev 4 and the ecu will have an immobiliser on it.

Because of this I sourced a rev 3 ecu but the car would still only fire but not run.

This morning trevsmr2 came around to help me double check everything and suggested I look for differences in the rev 3 to rev 4. After reading 1 thread it pointed me to the igf (white/red) in the 26 pin plug. Opening both ecus I found the igf needed moving one space over.

Bingo the engine runs, albeit with an engine light and hunting and hesitation.

Now the fault code is 31 which points to the vac sensor on the firewall so next I need to check the ecu pins for that. However the sensor is off the rev 1 but I have been told it should work fine. Also need to redo the tps setting as had to alter the throttle stop to get the car to idle though I may try to sort out the vac code first then adjust the stop back (tps was in spec before adjustment of stop).

Basically I'm getting there but should I get a rev3/4 specific vac sensor?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”