Replacing a drivers side door

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
zootlewurdle
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1

Replacing a drivers side door

Post by zootlewurdle »

Apologies if this is the wrong section to be asking this.

The drivers side door on my Mk 2 rev 5 has developed considerable rust at the very bottom. My local garage says it's beyond repair and I'd need a new door, which given we're now in 2019 and the car has been out of production for almost 20 years seems somewhat difficult.

I'm not sure what the best course of action to replace it would be. Any advice much appreciated.

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Replacing a drivers side door

Post by martin42006 »

I repaired both doors on mine by cutting out the rust and welding home made inner and outer skins on.

Its alot of work for a door so your probably better off just getting a good contition replacement off a donor ideally in the same colour then seal the inside to help prevent future rust.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Blaggins
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Blaggins »

zootlewurdle wrote: 15/07/19 8:33 The drivers side door on my Mk 2 rev 5 has developed considerable rust at the very bottom.
Same here! I've noticed there's a significant gap between the window glass and the rubber blade/seal thing. my assumption is that water has run down there, pooled in the door cavity, and eventually rusted through :sad: this is supported by the fact that for a while before I would see water pour out when I fully opened my door after a lot of rain.

Particularly annoying because years back when I hadn't long had the car I adjusted the window to try and stop an internal leak, so I probably caused it myself :facepalm:
Cosmos Blue Two - Worth the Wait...

Blaggins
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Blaggins »

Does it look like this?
2019-08-01_19-16-33_896.jpg
2019-08-01_19-16-14_594.jpg
Sorry to possibly post hijack, but if anyone knows roughly what a door respray would cost let me know - been looking for a cosmos blue door for ages! :no: so think I'll have to get a different colour.I
Cosmos Blue Two - Worth the Wait...

Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Sonac »

If you look along the bottom seams of the doors you will notice small drain holes. The doors are designed for water to flow though them. But these get clogged up over time. Get a can of compressed air and blow them out from time to time. Especially before the winter. My doors have also rusted because of this. I took the door card off, sanded what I could and poured rust converter into the rest. I left it for 2 days and then sprayed a "censored" load of undercoat into the doors. The rust appears to have stopped for now. Then again its been dry for a while.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”