3SGE Air Conditioning Retrofit

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
ToyotaTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

3SGE Air Conditioning Retrofit

Post by ToyotaTom »

Hi All,

So with the UK gettng a tad warm and the T Tops creatng a green house inside (yes i know removing them does help...a bit) I wanted to see how hard can it be to fit A/C to the car.

Think I've got a good idea of what parts I need and how hard this potentially could be to do. So if someone is thinking of doing an AC delete, or has a spare AC system, I'd be intrested in discussing a price for the lot and can travel to get it.

Mine is a REV 3 UK Car with the 3SGE engine, 1995.

Thanks,

Tom.

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: 3SGE Air Conditioning Retrofit

Post by martin42006 »

I have a spare compressor removed from a 1992. you will likely need to source a new condenser as they are all usually knackered, i have been looking at importing one from the states as they are still available new.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Topic author
ToyotaTom
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by ToyotaTom »

This is the trouble, the condensers are expensive, MR2 Ben has them from Toyota but 400 seems steep. Compressors are easy to find but the plumbing, cooling unit and wiring are the hard bits to find.

AT the end of the day the car was 700quid so speanding more than that just getting AC seems silly. But that said I am becoming stuck to the seat!!

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

Have you got the T-top shades? Those help reduce the effect of the sun.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

The condensers reasonably expensive but not quite at the ripoff prices at MR2-ben. If you look on rockauto at a denso unit they are available for around £90 iirc then there is a fair bit of shipping on that aswell.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”