Wheel Bearing Replacement Guide

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Bondongo_Express

Wheel Bearing Replacement Guide

Post by Bondongo_Express »

Morning everyone!

I've recently gotten the keys to my first MR2 (Rev3 Turbo) after alot of persuasion from a mate!

I've given her a good inspection, and solved some electrical issues (a seized rad fan & bypassed relay!), and now the next task is to sort out the vibration through the steering.

I had the wheels balanced which took out alot of the shake, but theres still some vibration as various speeds, and whines under some loading so I've bought a full set of wheel bearings to replace them as the cars on 139600, so couldn't hurt!

So my question is does anyone have a link to a guide or a thread which clearly walks through the process? I've had a look through some forums but struggling to find a "how-to". Any help would be hugely appreciated!

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Wheel Bearing Replacement Guide

Post by peteV6R5 »

1st post so welcome to the OC

wheel vibration can also be caused by sticking caliper sliders or pistons, worth checking and freeing off these areas. don't use copper grease though.

bearings you need a good press so best take off the hubs and take them to a garage to get done.
but again I would get the car off the gound and give all 4 bearings a good check, top / side wheel like in MOT.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
Bondongo_Express

Post by Bondongo_Express »

Thanks for the welcome man!

I've looked through the service history and it's had work done on that in the past. But its also not pulling across the road, so more inclined to go down the wheel bearings route - happy to be wrong though!

Plan is to lightly tune it for enthusiastic/light track use, so new wheel bearings won't be a bad idea anyway!

When you say give them a good check, how do I do this? Is this pre hub removal or post? And guessing I'll have to get the hubs off to press them in, can't be an in car job?

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Bearing replacement isn't really a DIY job, unless you have a hydraulic press to hand. You could remove the hubs and then take them to a garage to do all the pressing for you. (Pro tip - if you have ABS don't try to remove the sensor from the hub, disconnect the wiring from the car)

However if your bearings aren't making noise they may well not be a problem. Wheel balance, brake disk runout, caliper condition and bushings / ball joints would all be worth checking first IMHO.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”