MR2 fog lights

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
T1l5t

MR2 fog lights

Post by T1l5t »

Hi everyone.

Recently acquired some fog lights for the bumper, however the retainer holes are broken for the screws/bolts to go into to secure.

Any suggestions on what to do regarding a bracket of some kind like an L or roofers strap...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: MR2 fog lights

Post by shinny »

I recently saw someone used epoxy resin or fibreglass (I forget which) to rebuild the tabs there.

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

:th: epoxy resin, I saw it as well looked quite good.
one of mine needs repair but ive just bought a plastic welder from the bay.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yes its the same for many of these, the Philips shoulder screws seize with rust and the you strip the head and then your stuffed.

People trying to remove them should drill the heads off the screws instead of smashing the brackets.

You would need to do it a bit at a time with a decent brand new drill bit so you didn't overheat the screw and start melting the plastic.

supercookie

Post by supercookie »

MR2DI4 wrote: 25/07/19 23:40 Yes its the same for many of these, the Philips shoulder screws seize with rust and the you strip the head and then your stuffed.

People trying to remove them should drill the heads off the screws instead of smashing the brackets.

You would need to do it a bit at a time with a decent brand new drill bit so you didn't overheat the screw and start melting the plastic.
Excellent advice....I did the same. Also be careful the drill chuck doesn't catch on the bumper as you're drilling. :th:

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Possibly you need a long series drill bit to miss the bumper, about 4 to 6mm would probably be about right. Drill for a few seconds, let it cool, drill for another few seconds until the head falls off the screw. If you managed to drill in the center you can then possibly continue with a much smaller drill once the fog light is out to remove all the screw and then re-tap the thread in the hole. If your lucky you may even be able to stick with the original size thread.

Managed to get my screws out years ago with just a screwdriver that was a good fit. From that point I put never- seize on the threads and also on all the threads of the bolts holding the undertrays on.

StearmanJD
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by StearmanJD »

It was a guy called Rex H, on youtube, who did the fix using epoxy resin.

For anyone trying to take their fog lights out this article is relatively comprehensive:
http://stephenmason.com/cars/mr2foglight.html

Also, be careful about turning the adjustment screw. If it's also siezed, it'll take out the tiny plastic gears in the adjustment mechanism in the back and leave them in a million pieces. :facepalm:
Currently thinking of 3D printing some new ones.

Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by Sonac »

I have this exact same problem. I have the fog lights but the tabs are snapped. I found some metal L brackets on Amazon made of stainless steel. I plan to JB weld them on. I'll let you know how it goes.

It took me sooooo long to find steering foglights at a reasonable price for my car. There is no way some snapped brackets are stopping me. I'll use zip ties if all else fails!

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

I rebuilt the tab with fibre-filler and added a bit of black paint for good measure. Worked a treat :)
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”