Turbo gearbox cracked

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Turbo gearbox cracked

Post by Sonac »

Just an update for anyone interested. I have the car back now. Cost of £450 for my mechanic to remove and reinstall the box (he only charges me trade rate and doesn't always charge me for all the time he spends on the vehicle). And £430 to the gearbox shop for parts and labour. Around £900 total

He replaced all the original 29 yearold seals which he said surprisingly weren't leaking at all. Cleaned all the swarf out the box. Welded the cracked end casing. And replaced the broken 5th gear fork. Gears all work fine now.

However the last two days 2nd and 3rd gear were feeling a little notchy. I decided to check the oil. Spray paint silver oil came out again. I'm hoping that's just left over swarf from the original problem. All gears shift and feel totally fine so it can't be very serious.

I changed the oil with Halfords cheapo oil and threw in half a bottle of Lucas oil stabiliser to thicken it up in the hopes it will keep more of the swarf suspended. On Sunday I plan to change the oil again with some nice new Fully Synthetic Castrol Syntrax Gl-4.

Gears feel much smoother already since I changed the oil. I hope this will be the last of my gearbox issues. I already have solid linkage bushes. And i'm planning to grab a short shifter from MR2 ben which should also improve the feel.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

No consideration for Redline MT90 or LWSP?

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

I have to be honest that a pile of silver oil that looks like spray paint after a rebuild sounds bad to me.

A manual gearbox is very simple, just bearings and gears and stuff sliding on shafts. When I change my Syntrax oil at about 60,000km intervals you have to get it in strong sunlight to see any "Sparkle" from the tiny metal objects in it because at first glance it looks like new clean oil. I usually keep it and then after a couple of years it settles out and the black stuff gets left in the bottom when I carefully pour it out and then reuse it in an old 1991 Honda Integra that only takes a liter of gearbox oil. Have also used it as a "Flush" on other cars and in differentials so get rid of the existing oils so I can move to a full synthetic ASAP.

I guess the main point being that when your draining it, the oil should look as clean as the day you put it in.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

benckj wrote: 04/09/19 21:05 No consideration for Redline MT90 or LWSP?
Aaaah. Let the fun begin. ;)
https://www.mr2oc.com/6-mkii-90-99-na-t ... eport.html
MR2DI4 wrote: 05/09/19 0:30 I have to be honest that a pile of silver oil that looks like spray paint after a rebuild sounds bad to me.
^^This^^

If I have read the OP's post correctly his mechanic replaced the seals and cleaned all the swarf out of the box. What did the gearbox shop's labour cover? For sure nowhere near a complete 'box rebuild.

It would seem that either the cleaning wasn't as thorough as it should have been or the OP has got more issues with the box than just the 5th gear problem. Best to sort that out before forking out on fully synthetic lube.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by abovetherim »

I recently put this stuff in my N/A and it smoothed out an minor crunch I was getting 3rd to 2nd. For the money it might be worth a try until you know the box is good and can then splurge out on some more expensive fully synth stuff if you like.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75W90-5L-Ful ... 2749.l2649
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

abovetherim wrote: 05/09/19 11:08 I recently put this stuff in my N/A and it smoothed out an minor crunch I was getting 3rd to 2nd. For the money it might be worth a try until you know the box is good and can then splurge out on some more expensive fully synth stuff if you like.
Fair enough, but faffing around with different oils is a temporary solution at best. MT90 and the like simply mask a more fundamental problem. If the synchro rings are worn/shot the only 100% cure is to replace them.

Of course the least costly interim solution is to become expert at rev matching. ;)
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

TonyleFrog wrote: 05/09/19 17:55 Of course the least costly interim solution is to become expert at rev matching. ;)
Probably why I have never had a gearbox issue and am still on the factory clutch.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by Sonac »

Changed the oil again today. No more silver stuff. I guess it was just left over swarf. Put in Comma fully synthetic 75w90 gl4. I used redline oil in my old Rx8. Made the gears feel worse. Its snake oil. A good quality oil which meets gl4 specs is all that's needed. Why pay more! Gears are smooth like butter now.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 8 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”