Brake lights staying on FIX

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Brake lights staying on FIX

Post by abovetherim »

Last night I came home from work (in the dark) on my bike and as i pulled into my drive i noticed the brake lights on my 2 were on. Now I havent driven it since the Monday and again parked it in the dark so would have noticed the brake lights still on if they had have been then.

So last night I grabbed a torch, initially thinking of pulling a fuse or battery terminal. When i illuminated the footwell I found bits of plastic there!

Turns out there is a plastic stop on the pedal that pushes the brake light switch and mine had decided to disintegrate and fall out whilst parked. So to turn out the lights overnight I just unplugged the switch.

This morning I dug around in the garage and found a ribbed panel fixing (christmas tree) about the right size, trimmed the branches and popped it in. I adjusted the position of the switch and all fixed for now. I have ordered the correct part to fix properly but this means i can now drive the car if needed.

If this happens whilst out and about, there is an identical stop on the clutch pedal that if you have something to prise it out could be used to get you home.

Jan

1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”