Water leak in footwells

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Water leak in footwells

Post by MR2DI4 »

Think I have had this problem for many years but as the car used to be garaged it was not a big issue. Drivers side is way worse and you get wet feet. Carpet all round the edges is dry and literally just a puddle on the floor mat. Put water on the windscreen and it still flows out the rear lower front wheel arch no problem.

Its not a glass T-Top either so just wanting to know if anyone else had found the source of the leak.

It's a mystery.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Water leak in footwells

Post by peteV6R5 »

last one I found on mates car was the rubber bung center of floor panel had come loose. simple job of refitting and drying out carpets.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Thanks for that. I do however still have all the plastic factory underfloor plastic covers so I wouldn't have thought it was possible to get this qty of water thrown up into the car even when driving in the extreme wet.

Will do an underside inspection.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 20/09/19 1:08 Thanks for that. I do however still have all the plastic factory underfloor plastic covers so I wouldn't have thought it was possible to get this qty of water thrown up into the car even when driving in the extreme wet.

Will do an underside inspection.
they dont cover the bungs ;)

other than that usual suspects:-
heater matrix
screen seals
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Bungs all in place, no problems there.

Heater will be okay, any leaks here will be coolant and its clear water not green water.

The windscreen was replaced a long time ago, perhaps the issue is with the seal.

Its just something I think I will have to live with.

cosmos
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by cosmos »

Think floorpan then think that the longitudinal strengthening pressings in the floor are canals running without contacting any carpets, to form pools in the footwell or footwells. Quite likely the rear side coupe' windows are leaking and the water is tracking down and across the inner wheel arch and getting below the storage/tool box and draining under the carpet to the footwells to form a reservoir. Remove offending side panel/seat belt reel and get ready on a dark night when raining with a torch to witness. The windows each have 3 x 8mm studs in a perimeter steel frame and a rubber gasket but this needs bonding in "do not rely on making waterproof by the rubber gasket and the 3 x 8mm studs/nuts alone. You might try a windscreen company for advice here. Hope this directs you to the problem. I had this problem after a respray from people who knew MR2's but thought the clamped gasket was enough to make waterproof...its not.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”