Solar panel charging system complete

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Solar panel charging system complete

Post by MR2DI4 »

Just finished getting the Solar Charging system up and running.

Really not what you call an economical project, cheaper to just buy a new battery but thats not really any fun is it? and I wanted to gain some knowledge on PV systems and have a play.

Panel is 50W and started with those cheap PWM solar chargers on E-Bay but they are sh*t when I actually bench tested it and saw what was going on with the way it was working, so I forked out for a decent full MPPT one.

There are significant differences between the two at a component level. The cheap PWM only chargers have only a switching device between the PV and your battery. The MPPT setup is a two stage with not only the optimization of power from the PV but its a stable supply to the PWM stage to charge the battery. The result is a stable Voltage at the PV and the battery. Simply not comparable in terms of performance or what its doing to your battery.

Charging current up to 3 Amps with the PV is strong sunlight. It promptly blew my 2A fuse that I was trying to use to get close fault protection the second the sun came out from behind the clouds :laughing

This is left connected and running 24/7. You just need to remember to disconnect the PV before you drive away !

Also makes for an expensive Voltmeter, last picture is with the PV disconnected and the car running at idle.

Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Re: Solar panel charging system complete

Post by Sonac »

Sweet system dude. Solar panel looks awesome on that post. Neat install in the car also.

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by dawesy »

nice install.. very neat.
interesting Frunk liner too

Topic author
MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

That plastic liner is stock in the JDM cars, the front strut brace however is custom made, I designed it, got the steel CNC cut and I put it together and got a good welder to finish it off for me.

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by SonicSW20 »

There's a few different liners depending on the vehicle spec and year - TRC cars have their own variant for example.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”