Oil leak behind engine

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Oil leak behind engine

Post by Sonac »

Okay so my car is spewing oil. Only when the car is running though.
It's coming from near the purple cylinder thing under the intake manifold.
92 Rev 2 turbo for reference.

I have already changed the valve cover gasket. That's not leaking for sure.

Any ideas people?

Topic author
Sonac

Re: Oil leak behind engine

Post by Sonac »

bump

Snorkie
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by Snorkie »

Clean it all off with brake cleaner and check valve cover again and o'ring on dizzy. If you still can't find it, do a compression test. I don' t want to be the prophet of doom, but it could be pressurizing the crank case (broken ring land).

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

Snorkie wrote: 29/09/19 21:27 Clean it all off with brake cleaner and check valve cover again and o'ring on dizzy. If you still can't find it, do a compression test. I don' t want to be the prophet of doom, but it could be pressurizing the crank case (broken ring land).
Already cleaned it off with brake clean once. Its confined to that area. It's definitely not the valve cover gasket, I know that for sure. But its right under the dizzy. So it might be leaking from it. Thats a good idea.

I'll do a compression test too right after I replace my front end. Had a bit of a run in with a volkswagen golf because it was raining hard and I have border line slick summer tyres on the front. New radiator and front bumper and it will be fine. Oops.

I'll check that dizzy for sure.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

The distributor has two oil seals its the internal one that needs replacing not just the external oring.

Rebuilt mine years ago with a Viton oil seal. The stock seal is only nitrile rubber and it's long dead.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”