Advice on what power to expect

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
mickybo

Re: Advice on what power to expect

Post by mickybo »

Has a standard thickness cometic head gasket, and it's running with bosch motorsport knock sensor, but even with water methanol injection with medium nossle can only get 350bhp, cars getting mapped on the dyno again this weekend as had to replace the clutch as the new exeddy stage 2 paddle clutch wasn't holding the power, so had to fit a ACT HD.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Did the engine get some running in time with just a safe base tune ? The clutch would have benefited as well. Really wouldn't put a brand new engine straight on the dyno and thrash the "censored" out of it.

Topic author
mickybo

Post by mickybo »

Ran for at least 700 miles and oil changed 4 times, my tuner put a boost limit on it as I'm greedy sometimes lol

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Well sounds like you did everything right except probably the CAMS. the one in new Zealand that ended up a big disappointment was running stock Rev 3 cams.

Really a decent engine builder should have done more than one big build, in fact they need to have done several and they should be able to tell you exactly what power its going to make with the list of parts required and the fuel etc and give you the price. If you don't like the price then you just have to drop down a "Stage" and take the corresponding power cut.

Hell it should't even need "Tuning" on the Dyno if they have build an identical setup before, they should already have the mapping done, the Dyno should be just for verification it makes the power you requested and paid for.

The sky is the limit with the 3S-GTE but that doesn't mean its going to be a great car for public road use only.

Personally I just want something out of the factory that meets my my requirements these days, that way you know its been designed and built from the ground up to cope with the power.

Topic author
mickybo

Post by mickybo »

They have done a few mr2s in the past and all struggled to get the power you would think, not spending anymore money on it now as have to sell it to fund flights to Australia for 6 so at this stage what it ends up at is pretty much it 😎

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yeah my days of crawling under cars is over. Got my eyes on a 2021 Subaru WRX STi when it comes out. If it looks as good as the pictures has a 6MT and between 320 and 350Hp stock I'm all in.

Topic author
mickybo

Post by mickybo »

Same, just bought a new passat bitdi 4motion and had it mapped to 290bhp and 440lbft, all from a 2ltr lol, actually gives me all the trills I need now as it's proper quick, and with a new baby finding time to even go out for a drive these days is far and few between

simpson_eh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by simpson_eh »

something def not right i was running gt28 apexi power fc 850cc injectors and igot nearly 400 yes it had to be dialed back due to fuel system but still running 340bhp with 335ftib, that was on 205 chargecooler

gone up to gt3076r now but not been mapped and g4+
forged 5sgte, gt3076r , decat ,ngk leads,ebc,hks filter,link g4+,charge cooled,4 paddle clutch, chromolgy flywheel,acl race bearings,cometic headgasket, arp bolts all over,id1050 injectors, hks cams and gears

Topic author
mickybo

Post by mickybo »

Yes but your description says you have a 5sgte engine and hks cams and gears, I'm using stock cams and gears and 3sgte, was running 350bhp with water methanol injection and 350lbft torque

simpson_eh
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by simpson_eh »

now yes but wasnt, still running on same map for the 28 on a 5s lol not had time to get it remapped

all updates are on imoc wont post a link but same name check the garage
forged 5sgte, gt3076r , decat ,ngk leads,ebc,hks filter,link g4+,charge cooled,4 paddle clutch, chromolgy flywheel,acl race bearings,cometic headgasket, arp bolts all over,id1050 injectors, hks cams and gears

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

simpson_eh wrote: 12/10/19 2:23 something def not right i was running gt28 apexi power fc 850cc injectors and igot nearly 400 yes it had to be dialed back due to fuel system but still running 340bhp with 335ftib, that was on 205 chargecooler

gone up to gt3076r now but not been mapped and g4+
Agreed. I got 310rwhp on TDI's chassis (hub) dyno in Grays.
Garrett GT3071R, 800cc injectors, Apexi Power FC, GReddy side mount I/C.
Don't have the print out in front of me atm but it think it was at 1.3 bar.
Definitely nowhere near 1.7 though.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”