Mk2 turbo - reliability at 1.2 bar

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
tommy10101

Mk2 turbo - reliability at 1.2 bar

Post by tommy10101 »

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a lovely rev3 turbo. 1994, 100k miles. KW coilovers, TRD wheels

At the moment it is at the garage having an up rated intercooler, decat exhaust & turbo tweaked from 0.9 to 1.2 bar.

Intention is to use it as a track day car. How would this setup cope with 20 minute stints regarding temperatures and general reliability?

anyone else had any experience of using the turbo for track days?

should hopefully go quite well when it’s back:)

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Mk2 turbo - reliability at 1.2 bar

Post by MR2DI4 »

Thrashed mine a couple of times at tracks but wouldn't do it anymore the cars too old and the track is brutal on it. Its okay for 10 minute runs but really you need to build a dedicated track car as in stock form its not really up to the task.

Topic author
tommy10101

Post by tommy10101 »

What mods does the mk2 turbo need to be reliable on track?

Water injection kit? Any specific intercooler? Charge cooler?

nick

Post by nick »

For the track start with brakes and tyres. Do you have a full harness or just standard belts? These will add a lot more than bit more boost.

Topic author
tommy10101

Post by tommy10101 »

Already have all other support mods like that

Just intersted in what is required to keep the temps down after boost has been raised to 1.2 bar

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Reliability and racing don't really go together. Track days i did saw half the cars not running by the end of the day. You would need some decent wheel brakes and tyre upgrades and thats just for starter's. For me i found the MR2 was not really a great track car but that was because i was racing Karts for a few years and there is no comparison the Karts pull over 2G in the corners and handle like a dream compared to the MR2.

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Water injection running 50/50 meth/water has saved me a few times on the track. I can watch IAT temps drop 5C when squirting. Add 10% meth to fuel tank for additional insurance.

Apart from that it’s all about maintenance. Fluids , filters and IGN parts make a happy MR2.

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yes and brake pads, brake pads, brake pads.

At least one poor punter went off the end of the track at high speed when they suddenly discovered they had run out of pads and it was steel on steel......not good for stopping from about 170km/hr.

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by jimGTS »

if you run good fuel, a way to check AFRs, good pads you should be fine.
though id prefer going the chargecooler route for track days at that sort of boost level.

sidemount intercooler not ideal for constant track day abuse, but adding water injection should safe guard det/knock.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”