Rev2 Mk2 - Problems fitting a Rev5 Lockset ?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
novinno

Rev2 Mk2 - Problems fitting a Rev5 Lockset ?

Post by novinno »

Please help !

I have a replacement 1998 Rev5 Lockset - Door locks + barrel wiring, Boot lock, Glove box lock + Ignition barrel lock.
What problems would I encounter if I fit the set to my 1994 Rev2 ? Would I need to fit the associated Engine ECU to enable it all to work and/or anything else ?

Any assistance much appreciated. :th:
Last edited by novinno on 04/04/20 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Rev2 Mk2 - Problems fitting a Rev5 Lockset ?

Post by abovetherim »

The physical characteristics of the locks will be the same apart from the boot lock. This will be longer than the rev 2.

You can remove the rev2 boot lock and strip out the barrel and swap those.

Like wise the ignition barrel for the rev 5 may come with immobiliser sensor ring but again the actual barrel itself should be the same.

You will need to research removing the ignition mounting bolts as these are anti tamper but can be replaced with normal bolts on refitting if you wish but should be replaced with new anti tamper bolts.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Topic author
novinno

Post by novinno »

Thanks for the advice on the boot lock.Very helpful.
I'm hoping someone can advise on the electrical / immobiliser / ECU side of the fitment ?
I think the ignition barel is somewhat different and the wiring on the door locks too....
Also, is the chip in the key matched with another chip within the actual case of the ignition barrel ?
Thanks in anticipation.
Last edited by novinno on 06/04/20 7:47, edited 1 time in total.

abovetherim
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by abovetherim »

For the ignition switch I think the wiring for the start etc is the same. The immobiliser is a sensor ring wired separately I think.

The door barrels can be swapped over into your original handles
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”